SailNet Community banner

Should I unfasten PSS collar and redo the alignment?

• yes, redo right away.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • get the engine running again and revisit after a few short cruises

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • seems like the alignment is fine, congratulations

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
OK, I only know a little about alignment, so hoping you get smarter advice. I would check my alignment with the bellows loose. That way if it's impacting the alignment, you'll know. But this is a guess, not based on anything I've done.

But here's something I do know. Those grub screws on the donut are one time use. If you loosen to move the donut, get new ones. I had a donut come loose underway and turn my engine room into a rotary salt water sprinkler system. Luckily I had a bilge alarm, so it didn't go on for long. Also, on same topic of grub screws, I think the system assumes a clean shaft, then the grub screws sort of dimple it or they deform a bit or both. I'm worried about the scoring on the shaft making the donut attachment questionable.

Since the incident, we've put a collar against the engine side of the donut. I believe we got this from the manufacturer, but I've seen others use a zinc as belt and suspenders against this failure mode.

Good luck, and don't trust my advice on alignment, but the grub screw thing did happen to me, wasn't a particularly good day :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.