SailNet Community banner

Should I unfasten PSS collar and redo the alignment?

• yes, redo right away.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • get the engine running again and revisit after a few short cruises

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • seems like the alignment is fine, congratulations

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've only done engine alignments only about 4 times (all on a new pss seal), but here's my 2 cents.

I've never been able to compress a pss to specs with only using my hands. I always have had to use a couple of prybars placed on either side. It never seemed to take any 50 lbs of force, though. That said, the way you did it with a strap would have side loaded it and made it more difficult to compress and may have seated it a little crooked, as well.

I usually do a quick check before I compress the bellows to get things in the ballpark. You need to start with the shaft centered in the log or you can end up going down a rabbit hole by chasing it way out of position side to side. I do the final alignment with the bellows compressed as it holds the coupling tight but does not effect whether it is aligned or not. Then use feeler gauges to determine the gap. Not just the .004" one. Find out what fits and determine it's within the required tolerance (likely .004") side to side. Rotate the shaft and shake the engine between adjustments. Once it's aligned, then tighten the coupling bolts and recheck it once the boat has been in the water a couple of weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.