SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drilled and tapped holes on a plate on the mast where the halyard winch mounts. There is no way to get a nut on the other side. Is there a product that combines anti seize and thread lock? The mast is aluminum and the screws are stainless.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Not sure you need thread lock, not like it's a place that suffers from vibration, I think all you want really is anti-seize stuff, Tefgel seems to be the go-to solution there.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Tef gel is great stuff. I have a plate that I R&R twice a year to access the clew for the mainsail roller furling. I haven't needed to reapply in years, it's stuck like glue.

However, if you feel you need thread locker, I would think they would all act as an anti-seize, assuming you fully coat the threads.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The usual problem with stainless screws in aluminum is that after some time it's impossible to get them out. I don't think you need a thread locker.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
The usual problem with stainless screws in aluminum is that after some time it's impossible to get them out. I don't think you need a thread locker.
That's because they corrode together and you'll never get them apart. Eventually, the OP may need to do maintenance. If not thread locker, anti-seize is a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue Loctite works well to isolate the metals and lock the threads.
Yes, after reading the description of blue Loctite I will use it. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts