SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I remember reading antifreeze can preserve wood in structural parts of the deck. I have glassed in blocks of ash, drilled for the stanchions. With failure of the sealant, they have become wet and I'm not going to be able to get them acceptably dry. It was easy getting the rotted blocks out and I'm fine with that repair, but the last three blocks are fine except they are wet. Has anyone had long term success with this ? By long term, I mean over 8 years... Getting these intact but wet blocks out will be a nasty irritating job and I hate being irritated !

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Great example of using the absolutely wrong tool for the job. You have to remove rotted core material. Usually, removal isn't the impracticality; doing any else which ensures a dry core is impractical.

No doubt someone will chime in that you can use a solvent to evaporate the moisture; some others might interject use of a vacuum pump to suck out the moisture; someone might also suggest you inject the core with epoxy.

There is no option short of removal in which you can ensure you have been completely thorough and successful.

Presuming you only want to repair this once, do it correctly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.