SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at some information and/or opinions on this boat. Looking to be used as a liveaboard on inland waters and some coastal cruising.

·
Ignoring Trolls in 2009
453 Posts
I have an 87 Pearson 31-2. Great boat, handles very well under sail. Easy access to most systems. My concerns as a liveaboard/cruiser primarily are around tankage. 18 gal fuel, 40 gal H2O, 25 gal holding. If you are going to hit a marina every few days, stay in a slip or can be very frugal with your water usage, great for 1 or 2 people. If you were thinking anchor, or mooring buoy, I'd think about alternatives with greater tankage.

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, great boat! I have a 1988 P31-2 for just over
2 years now and still love it. I spent 2 months in the
Abacos last year and with 2 aboard we could go about a week
or so before going into a marina for water. Never really got
cabin fever as the boat is roomy for it's size.
Joe

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
'87 here (#80). I suppose one could live aboard indefinately; with water stops as mentioned above. Two with a mild climate (no heavy clothes and lots of time in the cockpit). I've known bachelors who live year-round aboard smaller vessels - but you'd have to keep pretty spartan tastes and few hobbies.

We use ours as a lake daysailor and it excels at that. I wouldn't hesitate to take her coastal provided the rig is well inspected. Getting on 21 years for any remaining original equipment.

On the whole she's rugged, somewhat tender but has a good motion (she does not bob, slap or root like many "European" recent 30 to 36 foot designs) and is very well laid-out for livability. Very wide side-decks reduce the cabin volume but sure make sailing and fishing at anchor a better experience. Seems to have very good ventillation and is relatively light and cheery inside. Loading her up for a live-aboard would probably make a big difference in the tenderness as she'd be squatted on her lines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Love my 1987 31-2 (number 36). As I stated in other posts be wary of the wood core decking. It is repairable but is much work. THe interior is comfortable for 2 but tankage as stated in prior posts may be your issue. Storage is limited also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Pearson 31-2,#146. Does anybody know what is the original dodger or from where is the original dodger? Pearson is out of business. Where can I get parts?

CJ
Pearson 31-2, 1988. #146
City Island,NY

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Put your finger over the spout to help draw the prime. I added 2" of aluminum tube sleeved with a length of 3/8" silicone tubing to the spout so the spray stays in the sink.

Great feature to put the ice melt to use for misc. water needs.

Cjli - Any canvas shop should be able to help you with the dodger. You can get most or all hardware parts from Sailrite.

Sailrite.com | Home

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hope some of you P31-2 owners are still there, I just made my acquisition Hull #232 and am desperately seeking an owners manual. I have seen many older post about where to get one but have struck out.

Thanks

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,101 Posts
Join this group
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pearson-boats and post your request there. I can then share a copy with you. I dont think you can yet PM here.
We have hull 22, I find the P31-2 to be a very sweet boat. The shallow draft keel version may be a bit tender but the deep draft stands up to a breeze quite well, and on the occasion that I may race i find the boat to perform well to her rating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts