SailNet Community banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
When used in conjunction with a boom vang, a traveler doesn't need to be very long, especially on a smaller boat. The traveler changes the sail's angle of attack without changing the sail's shape, and only needs to be long enough to take the pressure off the sail in the gusts, thereby reducing tiller pressure. If the gust is so strong that the traveler is insufficient to do that, then easing the mainsheet will do it. The boom vang will keep the boom from rising when you ease the mainsheet, preserving the shape of the sail.

·
Registered
76 Posts
MG,

I understand why you would want to upgrade the traveler. Among other deficiencies, it will not bring the boom above the center line....maybe not even to the center line. It will not allow you to efficiently control twist in the sail. Its a great little boat, but the traveler is a weak point.

·
MG-Sailor
6 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. Sorry I have not replied sooner. Work is getting in the way. I do not plan on being a big racer. Mainly going to do day sailing.
Traveler is a problem. I am still giving it some thought. The Catalina Capri mounts in the middle of the cockpit. Not sure I like that set up. I have seen a 27' boat with it on the cabin top. If I am sitting far enough forward it may be ok. I am going with a solid vang. Did anyone try the smaller garharger vang. If not what model have you installed.

He are some projects I started. Took the boom home and disassembled. Going install new sheaves and outhaul. Z-Spar has a great web page and all the hardware is available. Took the tiller home and stripped for refinishing. Took the forward hatch top home. Ordered be acrylic locally. I want to replace the gasket but lewmar does not make it any longer. I found a company that offers a replacement but it is not exact. It is about $50 for the replacement gasket and $75 for lense. It is a no brainier since it is completely disassembled. I plan on popping the frame up and reseating with 3m 4000.
Next big project is dropping the mast. I plan on new standing and running rigging. Install new light and windex. The mast looks to be great shape.
That is enough for now. Annapolis boat show just around the corner.

·
MG-Sailor
6 Posts
Hi folks,
Here is an update on my projects. Mast is down and wiring and lighting is complete. I tried to get some estimates on new standing rigging. Pricing from $440 to $900. It makes me wonder what could possibly be the difference for the big delta. I have boxed up my old rigging and will be shipping it out to rigger in New England to firm up the price. The original rigging hardware uses offsets tee fittings to fix the side stays to the mast. Those are not made any longer. Has anyone run into this?

The big project now are the blisters on the bottom. So many that I would call them poxs. They are 1/4-3/8 in size. After sanding the bottom paint off I was able to expose the extent of the problem. The only way to fix the properly is grind all the gelcoat down to the fiberglass matte. Big project. I am 4 days into the grinding. I figure 2 more days with the grinder then 2-3 days with a sander.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have A 86 Cal 22 That I Love But Never Seen Another One In My Aera (ky/in Ohio River) Or Hear Any Talk On The Form. Would Love To Hear Any Advice/tech Tips. I Almost Sold Her 2 Years Ago For A Larger Boat (saber 28) Thanks
I have an 85 22 Cal. Love the boat, currently trying to locate a furler for it. Would love some info on what knowledge anyone can give regarding the type and where to find the best deals.

Thanks
HC
Buffalo NY

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess I will bump this one to the top.

I have a cal22, 1986 full keel. She is a speedy lil girl even in light winds. I am putting her up for sale because I just lucked into a Morgan 35. I’ll be sad to see the little boat go, but she has been good to me

·
MG-Sailor
6 Posts
Hi folks,
Here is an update on my projects. Mast is down and wiring and lighting is complete. I tried to get some estimates on new standing rigging. Pricing from $440 to $900. It makes me wonder what could possibly be the difference for the big delta. I have boxed up my old rigging and will be shipping it out to rigger in New England to firm up the price. The original rigging hardware uses offsets tee fittings to fix the side stays to the mast. Those are not made any longer. Has anyone run into this?

The big project now are the blisters on the bottom. So many that I would call them poxs. They are 1/4-3/8 in size. After sanding the bottom paint off I was able to expose the extent of the problem. The only way to fix the properly is grind all the gelcoat down to the fiberglass matte. Big project. I am 4 days into the grinding. I figure 2 more days with the grinder then 2-3 days with a sander.
Well after a little break, I am back on the project. The Blister project went well. Just hauled out after 1 year and not a single blister. Over the winter I learned how to do Gel coat repair and fixed all the crazing on the top side. Just lowered the mast to adjust my spreaders. When I originally install the new standing rigging, I set them to high. I did not realize the first time around but 5-10 deg up works well when you start tuning. Installed the a new Schaefer CF-500 SnapFurl. It was not as easy as the video. It is a two man operation and I was solo. Now it is time to order a new genoa. I am looking for feed back on a manageable size. I was thinking 115. I think a 130 was original. I will be sailing alone. Does anyone have any good feed back on size and sail maker?

My latest project is to install a solid vang. I hope to install this weekend.

One of the last major design upgrade will be the traveler. I am not sure what I will do.

Look forward to hearing from some owners that still monitoring the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought 1985 Cal 22,just needs really good cleaning . Planning on docking at Battery Park Marina in Sandusky Ohio. I need a outboard for it, doing some research looking at 6 hp Evinrude and adding alternator to it. Any thoughts on what current owners are using hp size and reliability with there current outboards. Really looking forward to next spring and getting back under sail. I will have many questions on upgrades (knotmeter/depth sounder,soild vang,roller furling if my works or not). Thanks glad to be aboard.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,009 Posts
I sailed one back in the 1970's, that boat had a 3 1/2 hp Mercury long shaft, which was easily able to push that boat at hullspeed. It did not have an electric start or alternator, but was easy to put on and take off. We had a motorcycle battery for the running lights, depthsounder and knotmeter which we charged at the dock.

Jeff

·
MG-Sailor
6 Posts
Sweet! Congrat's on the boat.
I have a 4 1/2 Yamaha long shaft. More than enough for me. I was shopping around earlier looking at larger Honda's. $$$ I was able to get the one that came with boat repaired. I have a little more invested in the motor repair than I wanted. For now I am good. I have only been working on the boat. I have not sailed it yet. Target is the spring. I will only use the battery for Garmin speed and depth and a very occasional steaming light. A battery charge goes a long way. I will charge at the dock if needed. The boat came with a Yamaha rectifier. I have not used it to charge the battery. If you are going to need to charge frequently, you look at that option in lieu of an alternator.

I have a lot of projects planned and some major ones completed. Stay tuned.

Regards

·
Registered
926 Posts
SleddingSailor

I did some on-line searching regarding optional alternators that you suggested were available. All I can find is the 6 to 10 amp charging circuits which typically put out about 3 or 4 amps at cruising speed...this is hardly adequate for running even modest systems for any extended cruising. Is this what you are calling an alternator or is there something else? I don't see how a proper alternator could be mounted under an outboard cowling, that is why I asked the question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,
Just resuscitating this thread to see who is still out there. I just bought my first boat, a 1986 Cal 22 and am interested in meeting others who own this boat. I have never seen another one out in the wild, and as others have noted, there is very little information on it on the web.
Would anyone be willing to post some pictures of how their reefing line is set up? I've read the rigging instructions in the owners manual over and over, but can't seem to quite figure out what to do with the line as it leads from the end of the boom on the starboard side up to the gooseneck. The manual refers to a D ring, which I'm guessing was supposed to have been installed on the luff cringle, but has long since disappeared off my original mainsail.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone,
Just resuscitating this thread to see who is still out there. I just bought my first boat, a 1986 Cal 22 and am interested in meeting others who own this boat. I have never seen another one out in the wild, and as others have noted, there is very little information on it on the web.
Would anyone be willing to post some pictures of how their reefing line is set up? I've read the rigging instructions in the owners manual over and over, but can't seem to quite figure out what to do with the line as it leads from the end of the boom on the starboard side up to the gooseneck. The manual refers to a D ring, which I'm guessing was supposed to have been installed on the luff cringle, but has long since disappeared off my original mainsail.

Thanks in advance.
Your sail should have a D ring forward and a reenforced hole towards the rear at the reefing point. The line runs up from the gooseneck to the Forward D ring and then back down to a pulley. Then back through a loop or two to the rear pulley. Then up through the hole and back down the port side to a loop. Tie a knot in the end of the line to secure. Mine has a couple pulleys on the deck and a cam lock near the cockpit so you can pull her down without having to go forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your sail should have a D ring forward and a reenforced hole towards the rear at the reefing point. The line runs up from the gooseneck to the Forward D ring and then back down to a pulley. Then back through a loop or two to the rear pulley. Then up through the hole and back down the port side to a loop. Tie a knot in the end of the line to secure. Mine has a couple pulleys on the deck and a cam lock near the cockpit so you can pull her down without having to go forward.
That's super helpful. Thank you. Searching around yesterday, I came across this low-friction ring setup that I'm guessing serves the same purpose as this D ring that I'm missing. Am I on the right track?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's super helpful. Thank you. Searching around yesterday, I came across this low-friction ring setup that I'm guessing serves the same purpose as this D ring that I'm missing. Am I on the right track?
THat looks about right. My line goes through the hole your low friction ring is attached. Yours is probably a better set up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am looking for information on the Cal22. I am eyeing on an 85 model. I read different posts here and there but not much to find. Does anyone know more about construction quality and material used for deck and keel? Any info on boat behavior, weaknesses and performance would be appreciated as well.
Planning coastal cruising no racing.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am looking for information on the Cal22. I am eyeing on an 85 model. I read different posts here and there but not much to find. Does anyone know more about construction quality and material used for deck and keel? Any info on boat behavior, weaknesses and performance would be appreciated as well.
Thank you.
I can't speak to the sailing performance of the boat, as I just bought mine in October and only got half a dozen light air sails in before the end of the season. However, I do have a scan of the original owner's manual for the 86 model, which has some info on construction methods, materials and other specs. Drop me a line if you want a copy. I can't post it here because PDF uploads are disabled and I can't even post a link to an external site because I'm a new member.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thank you.
As far as I can tell the only wood in mine is the cabinetry. Mine is the full keel and it’s got 500lbs of lead hung down low. With the furling jib and the reefing main you can sail her in just about anything, although she excels in light to moderate wind. I’ve got a lot of stress cracks in the deck but nothing that leaks or seems like a structural problem.

Over all, a fun little boat that sails fast for her size.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts