SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wheelchair bound friend has an opportunity to move to a new slip.
The new slip is on the the end of O dock and looks like it is easier to get into.
http://www.byy.com/Portals/0/Files/Schematics/Westbrook_S.pdf

The old slip finger is 4' 6" wide and 30' long.
The new slip pier 4' wide and 27' long.

The new slip is on O dock and marked with a blue dash
The old slip is on N dock and marked with a blue dash
I have a picture of the boat in the old slip
And a picture of the new slip.

In the new slip his stern will stick out about 2 to 3 feet only about one foot now.

I figure their may be a little more exposure on O dock

Any good reason to not move.
Coming in I'll have to do a 180 which shouldn't be too hard as a right turn.
Leaving should be dead simple.

I might even be able to get them to remove the dock box to give us a little more room to keep the stern out of the fairway.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
One of the bigger issues could/would be the distance from the car to the boat. Be it in a wheel chair as your friend is, or you and I just plain walking!

the other I see, is the new dock is only 4' wide vs 4.5'. That 6" could be very useful to one in a chair etc.

The ingress/egress of the slip. An end slip can be nicer overall, and easier to get in and out. Is this worth it from the above stand points......Only your friend can really answer that one. Not sure I would do it if in his shoes.

Marty

·
Registered
405 Posts
David I would also think having an extra 6" would be better for any sailor for the nights the rum flow.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I can't really say which is better for the friend and their wheelchair. They would know better.

An end cap pier is certainly much easier to land and depart from. However, as you say, you are more exposed to traffic in the fairway and those pulling in and out of the slips across.

It's very much a personal choice, but I prefer to be farthest from the parking lot, as there is usually less noise, fewer dock walkers, etc. Some prefer to be closer for loading/unloading the car.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
On the T, it's easier to dock/undock, but a longer trip car to boat and quieter. Also more of a possibility of getting clipped.

In the slip, you stand a chance with a cooperative neighbor of tying off both sides in a blow and a shorter trip by car. Not much fetch in the whole marina by the looks of the plan, so no wave action worries.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This seems like something best determined in person and through some trial and error

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't see why either slip would be an issue getting into or out of. I would think that the extra 6" would be better for wheelchair access.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer the current slip over that one. I understand the appeal of being farther away from everyone, and that's a very valid point. But I think the proximity to the bathroom is a big plus for the current slip over the other, especially for those with physical limitations. In addition, given visibility and mobility issues, I think it might be difficult to pull the U-turn at the end to get into that slip. If he's going to back in (will take a lot of practice with the prop walk), that may be easier, but otherwise I think I'd be inclined to stay where he is.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
David--

Do I correctly assume that your pal wheels out to the slip in his chair but then works into/onto the boat without with his upper body strength?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
*If* he gets the new slip, make it S.O.P. to put on a pfd & undo the lapbelt on the chair before starting down to the boat,- a blowout or wonky board could send him overboard before there's time to react. Has he done a test-drive on the new, narrower pier?

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
If there is enough room to do a K-turn in that fairway, that's probably what I would do to turn around and dock on the end of O, with bow facing out for departure. I would have no issue with backing down the entire fairway. In my book, that's more acceptable for approach than departure.

That said, its much easier to maneuver to turn around on departure than approach, IMO, which would argue to dock with the stern facing out. On approach, you have to be much more precise to position yourself for the proper approach to the dock, given different wind conditions. On departure, assuming there is no conflicting traffic, you just need to end put pointed down the fairway until you get some steam and rudder authority to move to whatever side you want to be on.

Finally, for some reason, I was thinking the OP was trying to get his wheelchair bound friend to the OP's boat. Now that I understand this is the wheelchair bound friend's boat, it seems to make much more sense to be close to the parking lot. Use of the shoreside facilities was a good point too.

Does this friend sail alone or always have help? If it were me, it would certainly have to be the latter, but I'm always impressed with what the disabled can do for themselves.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
David--

Do I correctly assume that your pal wheels out to the slip in his chair but then works into/onto the boat without with his upper body strength?

Yes he has a motorized wheel chair.
There is another complication too.
His wife is probably 300 lbs plus and walks with two canes.
In order to get on the boat they made a steps with a railing.

I agree with the consensus that it is not slam dunk. It will be a tossup as to if it is a better slip for him.

He is extremely independent and I don't see anyway he will ever be able to take the boat out without help. But their is no way I'm going to tell him that.

The reality at least for now is that when I take them out I can have him steer in open water.
Other than that I'm on my own.

I'm not worried about the 180 turn to get in. It is a right turn which should work OK with back and fill.

I am worried about how close to the end of the finger the entry point will be and the width of the finger.

If the yard is willing to take the dock box off I think it would improve things a lot.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there is enough room to do a K-turn in that fairway, that's probably what I would do to turn around and dock on the end of O, with bow facing out for departure. I would have no issue with backing down the entire fairway. In my book, that's more acceptable for approach than departure.
I'm pretty sure their is plenty of room for a K turn.
It has to be a port side tie-up.

I'm not positive but I don't think the misuses could get in from the starboard side.
It might be worth a try but I think it would be even harder for her.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
*If* he gets the new slip, make it S.O.P. to put on a pfd & undo the lapbelt on the chair before starting down to the boat,- a blowout or wonky board could send him overboard before there's time to react. Has he done a test-drive on the new, narrower pier?
The test drive is scheduled for this weekend.

I even offered to to move the boat to this new slip so he could see how it fit.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will the prevailing winds have an effect on docking ease for either slip?
On the T dock I don't think it matters much. On the current dock if the wind is blowing off the finger I have even less time to get her tied off.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the current slip the boat to our starboard is small which gives up a good 3' clearance.
I'm worried that they might put in a much wider and longer boat which would make a tight situation even tighter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would think someone that is overweight and walking w/ 2 canes will be exhausted by the time they get to the end of that dock from the parking area. I also am surprised that Reves doesn't have an issue w/ 2 disabled people keeping their boat at end of the dock. Don't even want to guess what their exposure will be if one of them falls in.
Jim

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would think someone that is overweight and walking w/ 2 canes will be exhausted by the time they get to the end of that dock from the parking area. I also am surprised that Reves doesn't have an issue w/ 2 disabled people keeping their boat at end of the dock. Don't even want to guess what their exposure will be if one of them falls in.
Jim
I forgot to mention they have a dog too.
The ramp at P dock it particulary good for wheel chair access as it is used by sailctaccess.org where we take hundreds of disabled people many of them veterans sailing every year. This program has been operating for many years.

The distance from the good ramp to either boat slip is not that great.

Rives is very sympathetic to the disabled community and and I think would be the last one to stand in anyones way.
As far a falling off the dock the folks drinking are probably much more likely to land in the water than either of the two people I'm working with.

But yes it does concern me.

Reactions: mellowseas

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I posted this is because I've had a boat on an end slip like this before and wanted to make sure I didn't miss some major issue that only someone who had the experience would know.

So far it seems like it is a pretty close call.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts