4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive always had small rollers right off the tip of the bow

I have seen many images of self deploying rollers and hinged downwards but upwards? what would be the benefit here?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have seen this style countless times over the decades, and usually on power boats. My best guess is that they need a roller that they can pivot back onto their little foredeck and not hit docks or their trailer winch assembly with it when reloading at the end of their fishing day.

I would not spec one out for most sailboats.

Guesses and Opinions rendered on the hour.... deposit $.02 please. ;)

Loren

Attachments

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
In the US marinas tend to charge you by the foot, and anything that projects out from the deck costs you money. Stow the anchor, flip the roller back, and if you made the boat two inches shorter it still might become a foot less on your bill.

Or you could ask the company that makes them?

·
Master Mariner
8,998 Posts
I remember these on cabin cruisers in the 60's & 70's, Chris-Craft, Trojan and Owens). Usually on boats with the Danforth chocked on the foredeck, they could be flipped back onto the deck, leaving nothing extending beyond the hull. Should be cast chromed bronze; a well made fitting for it's purpose.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the US marinas tend to charge you by the foot, and anything that projects out from the deck costs you money. Stow the anchor, flip the roller back, and if you made the boat two inches shorter it still might become a foot less on your bill.

Or you could ask the company that makes them?
i dont know the company that makes them...all I know is what I have on the boat...its has no numbers or names on it

regarding lenght I guess it makes sense for power boaters, but on most sailboats the pulpit is way out there anyway

mine is at least 2-3 feet over the tip of the bow...

thanks

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember these on cabin cruisers in the 60's & 70's, Chris-Craft, Trojan and Owens). Usually on boats with the Danforth chocked on the foredeck, they could be flipped back onto the deck, leaving nothing extending beyond the hull. Should be cast chromed bronze; a well made fitting for it's purpose.

thats exactly what it looks and feels like its heavy and has the same patina a chorme bronze turnbuckle has

I just have never had one, or any sort of flipable roller of this type

thanks, I guess its fine to use then...I wont extend it over the tip of the bow more than a couple of inches...so no extra forces involved

I do have to make a new mount though as it seems the po did extend it too far out causing it to warp a bit:mad:

peace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts