SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GPS antenna that plugs into my windows laptop via USB plug so I can use navigation programs. I know the iPhone has GPS built in and can use iPhone navigation apps. So can my android phone.

But I want to use a bigger display (without using a full laptop) and have an iPad. Are there any GPS antennas that plug into it?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"I have a GPS antenna that plugs into my windows laptop via USB plug "
No, you don't. You have a GPS receiver, (aka GPS) not a GPS antenna. An antenna is useless without a matching receiver.

You can get a Bad Elf receiver for the iPod, among others. But you want to look for a GPS, not a GPS antenna. Which these days is integral to the receiver anyway.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Before buying any more hardware, I'd look for an app for iPhone or Android phone that transmit's the phone's GPS signal out by WiFi or GPS. Then figure out how to pull it into your iPad chartplotter software.

I've done similar things with my Android phone, but my tablet hardware is different (not iPad).

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for correcting my terminology. And for the ref. Bad Elf looks very promising.

"I have a GPS antenna that plugs into my windows laptop via USB plug "
No, you don't. You have a GPS receiver, (aka GPS) not a GPS antenna. An antenna is useless without a matching receiver.

You can get a Bad Elf receiver for the iPod, among others. But you want to look for a GPS, not a GPS antenna. Which these days is integral to the receiver anyway.

·
Seasoned Salt
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to free up my phone to be a phone and not part of the navigation system.

What tablet do you use? I am still on trial with my iPad Mini and not entirely happy with it.

Before buying any more hardware, I'd look for an app for iPhone or Android phone that transmit's the phone's GPS signal out by WiFi or GPS. Then figure out how to pull it into your iPad chartplotter software.

I've done similar things with my Android phone, but my tablet hardware is different (not iPad).

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts