SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We are anchored in La Cruz Anchorage in Banderas Bay, Mexico and it is very active echo system. Every two weeks or sooner we need to clean our bottom; we have a 36' boat. admittedly we are in die need of a bottom job which we will get done in September (off season rates).

We have been using a dive tank and an old hooka yellow hose with a regulator that was given to us. We connected that to a stage one and then use a div tank on deck. We need to dinghy in the tank and take it for re-fill which is not easy every two weeks or so.

The problem is the dive tank air gets used up quickly. There is no solution for this that I am willing to do, like holding my breath etc.

You can see the dive tank up on the starboard side.
It could be the regulator on the yellow hose is a low pressure regulator for a hooka setup. About say 30 pis regulator and the tank is much higher so air is getting out even when we are not breathing. Any way this is not diving forum so I will skip all that and just say we want to get rid of the tank. But it is a money thing.
We have plenty of solar power on the boat so we would like to use a 12v compressor to supply endless amounts of air at a price we can afford, we are retired and on a small fixed income.

We have found one Hooka type setup we think may work fine. We could sell our current system here in Mexico where the prices are high for dive equipment to recover some of the costs.

This system can be had with a 35' hose, regulator and compressor. Uses 10 amps and is affordable. We can clean most of the bow are with a snorkel so 35' seems enough. We do the keel are and zincs and prop with the tank the rest we get with a snorkel.

So after all this does anyone have any experience with this system?

"*mask not included For those wanting to use a more conventional regulator a Promate regulator is included. 12v Hookah diving air compressor Power:120w 12V Weight: 9 lb *battery not included Lightweight aluminum with easy carry handle Uses our long life, oilless, efficient, DC motor designed for clean breathing. One of the advantages of this system is the low power draw of 10 amps of safe 12v DC current. With the average deep cycle marine battery you will have enough power for all day use. Also you can put the compressor and battery on a float and not be encumbered by the length of the hose. Satisfaction Guaranteed. Rated for 5 meters of depth. 25 ft (35 ft available add upgrade to cart) diving dedicated , food grade hookah hose, brass direct screw connection to air compressor Nose clip and ear plugs included. With this kit you will be swimming with the fishes! Please leave feedback and please tell your friends. International Customers give a minimum 6-10 business days for arrival."The system seems like it should do the job we are wanting it for, cleaning the bottom of our boat.

12v Electric Hookah DIVING KIT WITH PROMATE REGULATOR
Thank you,
Chip

·
Registered
778 Posts
On the face of this, these things occur to me:

--What pressure tank are you using? I'm fat and don't have good breathing skills and I got probably 3-4 bottom cleanings out of my 3000lb tank
--Are there possibly leaks in the pressure gauge on your 1st stage there, or maybe elsewhere in your hose system? Is that regulator not hooked directly to the yellow (long) hose, so you have another possibility of a connection leakage?

My rig is a single 50' hose run directly from regulator to first stage. I have a tiny little gauge right there at the first stage, no hose and big gauge rig like that.

If you change over to your suggested system, (I've never heard of 'promate,') you'll have to tote around either a battery of some sort or have some pretty long wires to get power to the compressor, yes?

I think Fstbottoms is here, he has had good suggestions for bottom cleaning rigs in the past, see if you can get him online

·
I don't discuss my member
2,678 Posts
The 12-volt hookah system you linked to is really more of a pool toy than anything else. I suspect that it will be overtaxed, trying to deliver you a comfortable air supply while you are doing physical labor underwater.

BTW- hull cleaning without wearing a hood is probably not a good idea (as per your pic.)

·
2,678 Posts
BTW- I did a quick Google search for the compressor in the "Diving USA" setup. I found the identical item all over ebay. It is a fish pond/aquarium pump and looks like it sells for about $70 new. The OP already has pretty much everything else he would be getting if he bought the complete Diving USA hookah, so why spend the additional $300 dollars?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
--What pressure tank are you using? I'm fat and don't have good breathing skills and I got probably 3-4 bottom cleanings out of my 3000lb tank
--Are there possibly leaks in the pressure gauge on your 1st stage there, or maybe elsewhere in your hose system? Is that regulator not hooked directly to the yellow (long) hose, so you have another possibility of a connection leakage?
Our tank reads 2000 when it is full.

We had a first stage with
Line to dive vest
Line to regulator
Tank gauge

We left the tank gauge and removed the two others. Then we attached the yellow hose and plugged the other. That was it.
Yes we may have leaks.

It is a money and convince thing. We can put the old system back together, regulator and dive vest hose and tank gauge with stage one and sell it and the tank. Then we can sell the yellow Hooka hose and regulator. That will give us some pesos for something else. Not a lot but a regular 12v dive system is 3 times what they want for this little system.

We go down 5 1\2 feet to the bottom of the boat and that is it. Not as deep as a pool. But then again the mention of working while under water and this pump not handling it is a concern.

Another issue is filling the tank south of Puerto Vallarta. Not likely or easy.
Although with 3-4 bottom cleanings the tank could take us to Hualtulco and back next cruising season after we get a bottom job.

OK why a hood? I wear cotton in my ears after getting a tiny crab in one of my ears a while back. It was a bugger to get out.
We just got out of the water and rinsed off a lot of little crabs from cleaning the water line, they like the bottom of the boat.
The water is clean and fairly clear. Some skates and other critters but they keep clear of my wife and I.
Chip

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW- I did a quick Google search for the compressor in the "Diving USA" setup. I found the identical item all over ebay. It is a fish pond/aquarium pump and looks like it sells for about $70 new. The OP already has pretty much everything else he would be getting if he bought the complete Diving USA hookah, so why spend the additional $300 dollars?

That's a good question. For say $100.00 USD with shipping and then a friend bring it down I could afford to make a mistake.
A pond/aquarium pump does not sound very enticing :)
And I guess I searched using the wrong search words!
Thanks,
Chip

·
2,678 Posts
OK why a hood? I wear cotton in my ears after getting a tiny crab in one of my ears a while back. It was a bugger to get out.
Why a hood? Because as you found out, the stuff you knock off the bottom of your boat can end up in your ears. And shoving something into your ear canal and then going diving is an equally bad idea.

This is basic stuff. Are you even certified?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
That's a good question. For say $100.00 USD with shipping and then a friend bring it down I could afford to make a mistake.
A pond/aquarium pump does not sound very enticing :)
And I guess I searched using the wrong search words!
Thanks,
Chip
Especially one with all that Chinese writing on it. I would be concerned about what was being pumped besides air. What makes up the impeller? Any lead in the plastic? Since it is for "aquarium" use it will not have much in the way of regulations. There was a thread a while ago about home made hookas. But i believe they were mainly 110 volt, not 12 volt. If I were getting a hooka I would want to make sure it could be used for more than just hull cleaning. I would want to be able to do some recreational hooka diving as well, so a 2 person one would be high on my list. But then you start running into some serious cost issues.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I guarantee that when you start looking for bottom-of-the-line hookah rigs, the compressors are always going to be Chinese-made junk. High quality American-built compressors are not cheap. I personally would never use anything but.
And there is a difference between something that was brought in to make bubbles in a koi pond, and made to pump air to sustain human life. One would hope that a company selling it to support life would at least do some quality control on the stuff to make sure they are not pumping old waste oil, and toxins. I don't have anything against the Chinese manufacturing, but they have shown themselves to make material substitutions if you don't keep a close eye on them. Heck they make some fine boats, but I am sure they would not be so nice if they did not have someone watching over there shoulder.

Trouble is finding anything made here anymore.

·
2,678 Posts
And there is a difference between something that was brought in to make bubbles in a koi pond, and made to pump air to sustain human life.
The truth is that any commercially-available, recreational-level hookah is going to be based on an air compressor that was originally designed for another purpose, regardless of how much the compressor costs or where it was made.

That said, I wouldn't ever trust my lungs to the cheapest Chinese-made POS compressor I could find.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cleaned bottoms in Hawaii for a couple years with an air compressor from Home Depot. I can't remember the name right now but it was just over 110$. I would recommend a longer hose.
We want to use 12v DC as a power source. We have plenty of solar and a 10 amp draw is not much. We have seen some bigger dive 12v compressors at 26 amps and that is too much. Our water maker draws 8 amps and we run it all day and still get 14.30 volts and the dump load from the solar makes us hot water.
We would not be adverse to 110 if we could sustain it with the inverter. We have a Honda EU 2000i generator but we do not want to break it out. We have had it for 3 years or more and have 10 hours on it. Some cloudy days in February :).
Thanks,
Chip

1 - 20 of 84 Posts