SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season is about to start again for us.

The boat is in the Dominican Rep. We're going to haul it as soon as we arrive to replace the Pintle/G.. and the center board is stuck (down). A couple coats of bottom paint and splash!

However, I really want to put a windlass on the boat, and am worried that if I try to ship to the marina that it won't arrive in time or be delayed significantly to screw up our seasonal plans.

So... The question is: Has anyone brought a windlass or similar item w/ them to the D.R. and what are any issues we may have in doing so?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
My wife carries 50 lb pumps in her handbag...The airline is not going to like 100 lbs in an overhead bin.

There might be significant tax in DR and the possibility of a Customs shakedown.

I had $2,500 in spares entering Panama and they wanted $2,500 in tax!!! Totally illegal but fortunately my wife is Hispanic and after 30 mins of her talking to the lady customs officer the tax went to zero.

Phil

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I had a MaxProp in carry-on aboard United from Dulles to Heathrow. In Heathrow security said it was a safety hazard (because I might hit someone with it) and made me check it through to Goteberg.

Can't speak to the DR, but different airlines and jurisdictions do treat things in different ways.

·
19,484 Posts
I've taken a Raymarine Course Computer as carry-on to Mexico - very nervous about that ahead of time - wondering what it would 'look like' going through carry-on scanners.. but there wasn't a blink of an eye.

I think the weight is going to be the issue - both for carry-on (esp these days) and for yourself trying to pack it down the sometimes endless-seeming ramps and hallways at your average airport here.

·
Master Mariner
9,408 Posts
You'll have to check with the airline, but I don't see why it cannot go as checked baggage. Well packed with convenient handles it should not be a problem, though most likely pretty expensive. You might be required to drain the oil, so make sure you can purchase that in the DR. Have multiple copies (I'd have at least 4) of the sales slip or invoice, as one thing all governments have in common is plenty of paperwork.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have made dozens of trips to the DR, but never with a windlass in my luggage. That said, airport customs officials there tend to be low-key and friendly. If you are flying into POP, perhaps more so. They tend not to mess too much with tourists as these are the country's "bread and butter". I would carry it in my luggage if possible, and not a box. You may just be allowed right through.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
A quick glance at DR duty laws and, in general, exempt personal items must be used and owned for two years, otherwise, you pay. I guess this is how you get your clothes and ipad in. I bet a windlass in your luggage would not seem like something you bought two years ago and just happen to haul around with you. I saw sales taxes of 18%, duty I couldn't figure out and a luxury items tax of up to 300%, but I didn't read what it applied to.

There very well may be a way to import your windlass and I would do more research to know for sure. However, taking your chances isn't worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed,
Not even worth taking the chance. I've decided to either purchase a windlass in Santo Domingo (hopefully), and pay for what is probably going to be about 20% mark up from the states. Or, just wait until I hit Puerto Rico. My guess is I'll have about 5-6 anchorages on the way to the east coast of P.R.. So really not that big a deal to wait till then. Especially if the price difference goes over 300 bucks or so...

Thanks all for the input :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.