SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing a trip to the gulf coast islands off of al,ms and la. in the spring ..
what do you have , where do you haul it when your sailing ?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
8 foot Portabote. Folded on deck. Oars and transom and seats stowed in aft cabin. Dink motor on pushpit.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a little inflatable boat I got for a hundred bucks as a dinghy. Folds up really small and I have one of those ryobi 18v inflators that fills that sucker in less than 5 minutes. I got mine for $100 but it is missing the floor. Still sort of works but I need to get some PT plywood or somesuch. Also doesn;t have oar locks which is a pain. Here is one on ebay but it is seriously overpriced. For that money buy a real inflatable. The ice thing about this one is it is light and has nylon protecting the tubes. The intex mariner or somesuch looks pretty decent for as cheap as it is.

Aquarius Hard Bottom Inflatable Boat 8ft | eBay

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use an Intex Seahawk II, fold it up under the companion way steps & pump it up on deck with an electric pump I carry when I'm going to use it. I also bought a bridle to tow it out the back so I don't always have to deflate. It works well for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Gulf Coast have six barrier islands: Cat Island, Ship Island, Deer Island, Horn Island, Round Island and Petit Bois Island. Each island has something special to offer, so see all if you’ve got time. While all islands are available by private boat, only Ship Island offers a ferry service. Also, several charter boats offer island sightseeing. If you want to know about haulting then try on this which I got to referred and suggested for you . Hope you will find helpful.

gulfcoast.org/things-to-do/fishing-boating/boat-cruises/

·
Registered
620 Posts
Even though this is 4 year old thread still may help/or be of interest to some...
When cruising any distance I carry my 9.5 Ft soft floor inflatable on board deflated and then inflate and will tow without motor short distances.
My small 30 fter will lose as much as a half knot towing. I also have a self made bridle that turns itself into a 4 point lifting sling to
lift dinghy on side or fore deck using halyard. (i deflate tubes when on fore deck as not a lot of room).

tschmidty's old post of needing a floor for his basic dinghy reminds me that for years I tooled around in a similar dink
that I had cut a piece of hard foam insulation (was pink 1.5 or 2" thick) to size of floor of dink and when dinghy was inflated
floor became locked into place and was nice and rigid. Floor fit under bunk just right.

Hoping op got to the gulf islands...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts