SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
require complex and expensive turbocharging systems
Most sailboat diesels do not have turbo chargers and even those that do, aren't required for power generation, they are for fuel efficiency, emissions or to cram more HP into a smaller footprint. Oddly, my last Volvo was 100hp, derated on a block that was used for the 150hp model and it still had a turbo. The turbo accomplished none of the above, lest maybe fuel efficiency, which is a near non-issue for sailboats. Talk about frustrating. At a certain horsepower (maybe 75ish and up), you can't find one without, but I'd greatly prefer one without. Especially after having rebuilt one and replaced another with new. They are pricey and require keeping the oil as clean as possible.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Diesel fuel is far less flammable. You can generally throw a match on a puddle of diesel and it wouldn’t light, so inadvertent leaks in the engine compartment are very unlikely to ignite, before being identified. It also creates a fraction of the deadly CO from an exhaust leak. While it can still accumulate to deadly levels, it takes multiple times longer or higher concentrations, giving a far wider safety margin. I don’t see gasoline making a comeback on sailboats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.