SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
seems like an odd choice if you are in Canada. if in Spain then then it might make since
I have heard of a number of people in the Vancouver area repowering with Sole engines because they are so cheap compared to Yanmar and Volvo. Presumably there is local support for them.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Diesels require extremely complex and expensive emissions control systems to match the cleanliness of gasoline engines, they require complex and expensive turbocharging systems to bring their specific power output up to practical levels, the fuel costs tend to break even with gasoline engines (in the US), CO2 emissions tend to be about the same or sometimes worse.
Diesels had a lot less horsepower (but more torque) than comparable gasoline engines. Translation: they got moving briskly but then didn't accelerate nearly as quickly as gasoline-engined boats.
Why do you refer to diesels in the past tense? They are standard fare on sailboats, they don't necessarily have turbochargers or fancy emission control systems. They are far better suited to sailboats than gasoline engines are, hence you never see gas inboards any more.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.