SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to venture further this year than I managed last year. I kept my boat in Pt Roberts. It was nice and convenient for trips to the San Juan’s.

I can get up to 10 or 12 days of at a time to go sailing this has been enough in the past to get as far a Desolation Sound and back or Hot Springs Cove.

I should be able to do this a few times in the spring or summer of for a week or even 10 or 12 days sailing then back to work for a couple of weeks.

I was wondering about sailing up the coast and leaving my boat at a marina or dock for a couple of weeks then coming back.
I was hoping to find stopovers which I could get a weekly rate at or maybe even a month rate rather than pay daily rates which for moorage.

Any recommendations for the Middle, North, west of Vancouver Island. Possibly even the North Coast or Haida Gwai.
I hope to find secure mooring and be able to get easy transportation to and from boat.

It would be easier if I could get a couple of months of but that’s not looking likely at the moment.

I have heard you can sail round Vancouver Island in 2 weeks but that seams to be to much of a rush.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I think if you pick a likely marina and call them they will give you a weekly rate that isn't advertised. Maybe not from June-August though.

You can ask about mooring balls too, or if you sail up and it's summer maybe you're brave enough to anchor. I had to leave my boat for a week last summer but couldn't find the guts to leave it anchored and the popular marina would only do daily rates.

·
19,485 Posts
Westview floats at Powell River would be a good place to try, as would the transient docks at Comox. Summer rates at Westview will probably be better.

These will be your last good options until you get to Port MacNiel.. It seems you'll need good road access or flight access, though a float plane will get you anywhere, I suppose. Comox, PR and PM have nearby airport access.

Once into the central coast region I'd expect options to be rather limited, but there are resorts, public docks and possibly fish camps/logging operations that might be approached but you'd be looking at more expensive float plane charter access..

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions I hadn't thought of westview.
Port Macniel might be an idea is it a marina or government dock?

I don't know if I will stop in the Campbell River area or try and head up to the North end of the Island.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts