SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this new battery from Odyssey? It's an AGM using pure lead... I don't know if it's one of the new "thin plate" technology batteries, but they do mention having thinner plates in the specs. The people at the Miami Boat Show said that they will take a massive charge and you can deep discharge them, so they sound like thin plate tech. Two of these batteries are exactly the size of an 8D, but have 418AH of capacity! They are around $600-$650 each, so not cheap at all, but I could double my house bank capacity in the space I have now without having to take up other storage areas (which is VERY important to me).

PC1800 Odyssey Battery - Odyssey Drycell Batteries

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
That's a cranking battery. Is that what you really want?

Deep discharge is not normally a strength of a cranking battery.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the interesting thing about the battery - it has both cranking power and deep discharge. The new Thin Plate Pure Lead technology is supposed to support deep discharge (90%) without damage, rapid recharging (if you can dump 200amps into it, it will take all of it with a much more rapid time to full charge than a standard AGM or lead acid) and they have high cranking amps.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
sounds great!
Let us know how it goes being the product tester! :eek: :)

I'll wait for some real world field testing to get the bugs out.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nigel Calder just filled his boat with TPPL technology and apparently loves it... I'll take that guy's recommendation anytime!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Labatt,

We had some extensive discussions about the Odyssey batteries, oh it must have been a year or two ago. There should be some good info in the archives. Camaraderie had a lot of good things to say about them, if I recall.

I plan to use one when I finally get around to installing a separate starting battery.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Nigel Calder just filled his boat with TPPL technology and apparently loves it... I'll take that guy's recommendation anytime!
At his expense? Not accusing, just asking.

Maybe they've been out longer than I realize. the concept certainly is attractive but it's pretty new and untested it would seem

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should probably somewhat retract my previous statement. After some more research, I've found that he is very bullish on the technology and is currently running it through its paces on his boat to see if it withstands the rigors of cruising. The batteries were originally designed for use in tanks - they turn their engines off to minimize their heat signature and have to run on batteries for a long time. They then have to recharge them quickly. One of the biggest issues with them at the moment is the charge acceptance rate - they will take anything you throw at them, which could keep your alternator at 100% for a period of time, so that can cause undue wear and tear. On the other hand, you can recharge a 90% depleted 214AH battery in 25 minutes with the appropriate tech (which we won't have). I'd be recharging them using our generator powered Xantrex charger, so I need to talk to them to find out what strain, if any, would be placed on it.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I would be curious about how the "thin plates" cope with "the heavy seas". I'm not rejecting it, but after looking at a load of Lifetime and Northstar AGM options, a bunch of Trojan 8Ds is looking sensible just due to the availability, the ruggedness and the price (although when it comes to batteries, price isn't a huge issue: Reliability is. I only want to have one set over five years of cruising.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
At 132 lbs per battery for the PC1800...you better have some gorillas to help you get them on the boat.

For about the same price, you could have a bank of (4) 6V Lifeline AGM....600AH. 692 Mins reserve @25 amp vs 475 Mins for the Oddessy. I did the math in my head, but I'd say they are both similar in space requirements.

In terms of $/AH performance, the thin plate technology needs to come down a bit more before they really pique my interest.

Good luck, and make sure you let us know what you end up choosing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts