SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Hush is nearing the end of her Refit in Sailharbor (Savannah GA) I decided to try to dive into the engine compartment and have a look at the steering quadrant, the rudder seals, and the packing box. I am 6'1" 250lbs, kinda have a linebacker build. Anyway I have seen pictures of Dave in his 34 laying down working. I don't have any flipin idea how I am going to be able to do that. Anyone have a trick they will share???? I don't want to have to have the Savannah Fire Department come and cut me out of my boat.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
I had the same problem when I refit Coorie Doon 2 years ago. I bit the bullet and had the yard drop the rudder and we fitted new bearings/ seals including the big bronze one on the skeg. I am hoping it will hold up for 19 more years. :)

·
Not Finished Yet
829 Posts
My rudder posts leaks. I have hired three pros to crawl back there and fix it, all three come to the boat, then declined to do the work. One of our fine forum members did it for me. The long-term solution I opted for was to cut an access panel at the foot of the quarter birth. Quick and easy job that gives you great access, even when underway. I think this should be done on any boat, since removing your cockpit sole while underway would be really dangerous.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
Al, Do you remember what you paid. I am on the hard now and may consider.
Mine was on the hard also and having a below deck autopilot installed. The new bronze shoe for the rudder and associated hardware was $ 850. The labor was 3 and 1/2 hours which included dropping the rudder, inspections and reinstalling. I could have had the shoe welded( there was a little wear which you could feel) Getting it welded and rebored might have been cheaper but PSC had the shoe available. Need to grease the new one each season.:)

·
Registered
Pacific Seacraft 34
259 Posts
Ah...yet another reason I'm glad Jo Beth is a tiller boat... :D

I've seen the cut out in other PS's and boats over the years. It is a good solution for the wheeled ones out there. And I readily admit, crawling around boats was much easier when I was younger...and yeah, OK, skinnier. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.