SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have an opportunity to make an offer on a catamaran that was damaged by hurricane Ike. The owner put the boat into a mangrove swamp, where the hull rode it out just fine. Couple superficial scratches by branches, that kind of thing. The owner's brother told me that he wants to sell it, but the brother doesn't know much about the boat. Neither do I.

The standing rigging let go on the starboard, windward side, and the hurricane bent the mast over to the port. You can't see it in this photo, but the mast is pointing horizontal and laying on top of the mangroves on the other side of the boat:

Do any of you recognize the make or model boat? It has dual centerboards, once of which you can see sticking up in the raised position out of the port hull.

I am looking for any info at all about this boat, and whether or not it would be worth buying and fixing.

·
Master Rum Hider
54 Posts
Looks like a Macgregor 36 Catamaran. If you google it, you should come up with some links to photos of other Macgreg 36 cats and owners manuals.

[Edit] Ah, drats... jgeissinger beat me to it by just 2 minutes :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
OP says the mast is bent over and lying abeam to port... in to the mangroves on the other side of the boat.

Is it just me or is it missing something???

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I'll do the math. It's not that i wanted a Macgregor, cause in fact I want a Gemini 105Mc...but I can't find any Gemini 105's busted up in the mangroves at cheap prices with owners looking to sell.

I may kayak over to it again today and climb aboard, if the google stuff looks good.

Thanks again.

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh, we been here. Been through a lot in three years. Built a house. Bought and imported a boat. Had it smashed. Got another boat and imported that. went fishing. Diving....you know. That kind of stuff.

Almost made an offer on an older Gemini, the one before the sugar scoops. Whats that, a 3400? Anyhow it was in pretty rough shape but cheap. But someone else snapped it up for $ 10K. Now that's how rough it was. Oh well....I really didn't want those hulls anyhow.

Oh, I kept the blog that I started almost two years ago going, about what it's like to move to a place like this etc. Have taken a lot of photos and post something new every week or so. It's full of pretty blue water and tropical scenes, and a few words about life here. People seem to like it, and we have actually won some awards. Go figure.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The Macgregor 36 never tried to be a floating condo, and as such, is a fairly decent performing catamaran. Relatively low freeboard and windage for a catamaran.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts