SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astronautics Corporation of America, magnetocaloric heat pump?

Another good reason for using a removable (portable) refrigerator on our boats! ;)

They are making a new refrigerator that uses no compressor and saves up to 35% on power usage. SOOOooooo, in a year or two we can just pull out our old portable units and drop in a new one that uses a lot less power! :D

You can see a short bit about it at; Premiere of cutting-edge cooling appliance at CES 2015 -- LAS VEGAS and LUDWIGSHAFEN, Germany, Jan. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
It is also on USA Today.

Greg

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
My research says current technology only cools 50F below ambient. Anyone have better or more recent info that says otherwise?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My research says current technology only cools 50F below ambient. Anyone have better or more recent info that says otherwise?
I think you are thinking about a different type of cooling. Like the peltier junction type of cooling.

From Wiki at; "Magnetic refrigeration was the first method developed for cooling below about 0.3K (a temperature attainable by 3 He refrigeration, that is pumping on the 3 He vapors)."

And to some of the above, I think 0.3K is cold enough for a VERY solid Margarita. :D

Greg

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I think you are thinking about a different type of cooling. Like the peltier junction type of cooling.

From Wiki at; "Magnetic refrigeration was the first method developed for cooling below about 0.3K (a temperature attainable by 3 He refrigeration, that is pumping on the 3 He vapors)."

And to some of the above, I think 0.3K is cold enough for a VERY solid Margarita. :D

Greg
0.3 k is extremely cold yes however the article said they were using a water based cooling medium and pielter units are 30° below ambient without stacking and it uses more energy to run than current compressor tech. To obtain the 50° below ambient with pielter units you would need to stack multiple units and double power usage iirc but this is worthy of keeping an eye on

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
0.3 k is extremely cold yes however the article said they were using a water based cooling medium and pielter units are 30° below ambient without stacking and it uses more energy to run than current compressor tech. To obtain the 50° below ambient with pielter units you would need to stack multiple units and double power usage iirc but this is worthy of keeping an eye on
Newhaul,

Sorry about my bad assumption on your thoughts. I see a LOT of people who do not know the differences between the types of cooling (and the types of heat transfer).

My background is in spacecraft and have used many types of systems and materials related. Funny how our sailboats have an analogy to spacecraft.

I understand that the wine cooler they were showing used water based liquid, but how far off can a deeper cold unit be?

Greg

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Newhaul,

Sorry about my bad assumption on your thoughts. I see a LOT of people who do not know the differences between the types of cooling (and the types of heat transfer).

My background is in spacecraft and have used many types of systems and materials related. Funny how our sailboats have an analogy to spacecraft.

I understand that the wine cooler they were showing used water based liquid, but how far off can a deeper cold unit be?

Greg
Can you replace the water with something with a lower boiling point [ alcohol | ammonia | $coolant ] for lower temperatures?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not exactly new technology - The first working magnetic refrigerators were constructed by several groups beginning in 1933.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.