If you read threads on the various boating forums, you know there's often requests for information about services:
"Can anyone recommend a surveyor near Jacksonville?"
"Who knows a Westerbeke mechanic in Portsmouth?"
These types of questions are daily occurrences. Unfortunately, after the question is answered, the thread falls to the bottom and off into who-knows-where. At best, this mechanism offers only a few responses. Often, the people with real experience become tired of answering the same question over and over and their experience becomes lost.
What's needed is an Angie's List for boating services.
We recognized this 4 years ago and created a website called CaptainRated.com as a first cut. We wanted to see how it might be used. We learned that boaters need more than what Angie's List provides. We decided to keep the data acquired from CaptainRated but re-wrote the software. We're pleased to announce that it's now ready for use.
For now, ActiveCaptain Services will reside under eBoatCards.com until all of eBoatCards turns into ActiveCaptain.com. You don't have to be logged in to view any of the information although you must log in to change details, claim a listing, or write a review.
To create an eBoatCards account if you don't have one:
1. Log into eBoatcards.com with your ActiveCaptain email/password.
2. If you haven't created your electronic boat card, it'll walk you through a couple of questions to set it up.
Once in eBoatCards, select Services in the upper right. That will open the Services categories index. You can also go there directly with:
We're only opening 4 of the Services categories today:
- Boat Brokers - professionals who assist you with buying or selling a boat
- Surveyors - professionals who perform surveying for boats
- Transport/Land - companies who transport your boat over roads
- Transport/Water - companies who transport your boat on their ships