SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
I contacted the seller and got a bunch of pictures and screen shots of an article from 1985 where Shaw talks about his designs, including this one. The 32 Custom Pearson is a one only prototype. That boat is almost exactly like Pearson 40, only smaller. Same design. Shaw used this 32 as his personal boat for a while but his wife hated it as it was a typical racer with no amenities inside. Definitely a piece of history.

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
With all due respect, this explanation makes no sense at all. To begin with, the Pearson 40 hull and rig bare no relationship to the Pearson 32. The Pearson 40 predated the Pearson 32 by quite a few years, The Pearson 40 was a 'Whale body' centerboard boat. The Whale body design concept was a short lived IOR I rule beating strategy, that was quickly made obsolete by revisions to the IOR rule.
Jeff
Jeff, the Custom 32 Pearson is not at all similar to Pearson 32 production boat. It is a much earlier design (1975) and a one-of prototype which served as a basis for P40 several years later. Send me your email address in a private message and I will send you the article and photos. It is a very interesting story.

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Reaction score
Of course, please post them, Jeff. I hope someone buys that boat and preserves this interesting piece of nautical history. The boat can't be all that terrible as it was winning a lot of races back in the 70's, racing against her contemporaries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.