SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to be putting a new autopilot on our boat and I was hoping to go with the new Raymarine ST70 head and X Series AP. I'm being told that they are not regularly shipping them due to some software problems. Call me insane, but I still want them. Software can be upgraded and we're not doing any majorly long passages right this moment. Does anyone here know anyone high enough up at Raymarine that might be able to kick loose these units so I can buy them and be a "tester"?

Please, I know that I might be an idiot, but I don't want to buy technology that has already been replaced (i.e. ST6002+/S1G).

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Have you looked at the Simrad/Robertson autopilots as an option? It seems to be the standard for top end manufactures as well as the mega yacht crowd.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Also, as I experienced with my S1, Raymarine rollout can make Microsoft look speedy.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Why would you want to be a guinea pig and have to spend good hard cash to become one??? Go look at Simrad... they've got the bugs out of their product at the moment... :) Cam and T37S are right... :)

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the Simrad units, but everything else on my boat is Raymarine. Since I'll be looking to go to an E120 plotter in the future, you'll be able to run the entire system from the plotter. I'll still have a separate control head for redundancy, but I like the integration. Also, I'm an IT Consultant - I'm used to being a guinea pig and/or punching bag :)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I looked at the Simrad units, but everything else on my boat is Raymarine. Since I'll be looking to go to an E120 plotter in the future, you'll be able to run the entire system from the plotter. I'll still have a separate control head for redundancy, but I like the integration. Also, I'm an IT Consultant - I'm used to being a guinea pig and/or punching bag :)

You can do the same with Simrad in terms of using the plotter to control the Simrad autopilot. I have a WP30 (older Simrad) that has fully integrated with all my Raymarine (C & E series) gear and its has worked well for 2 years +..)

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
The Simrad line is NMEA 2000 & 183, easy enough to either plug the 183 into the E120, or Mux it into SeaTalk for your current RayStuff.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Please, I know that I might be an idiot, but I don't want to buy technology that has already been replaced (i.e. ST6002+/S1G).
When I bought my ST4000 MKII+ it was being phased out and I was fortunate enough to get one of the last ones in the supply chain. It still works fine today after a couple years service and will likely work for many more years. It is a perfect fit for my boat dispite it's being now obsolete.
I still use my little Garmin GPSMAP 76cs and it is also obsolete/discontinued but functions just fine and will continue to do so. ( I bought it when it was leading edge). I am not convinced that every piece of equipment be the latest and greatest because I have tried both and found that the older model works just fine and that the latest very soon becomes obsolete. I'll stick with what works today.

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been fortunate to find someone who knows someone in a high place.

I'm fairly set on the new units... they are light years ahead of their predecessors with regards to functions. I have a different approach in my gear - I like to get the latest and greatest. I also like to back it up with tried and true. For example, while I have a Raymarine Chartplotter, I also position plot on paper charts. I plan on getting the ST70, and I also plan on getting a Monitor or similar steering unit. I definitely appreciate everything everyone is saying, and I usually take the advice of others here, but I've got my mind set on the ST70.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Labatt-

Maybe we should call your boat "Beta Test". :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts