SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked my launch date ..... next Tues, Apr. 21 :D

Was up last weekend to pull off the tarp.... 4 powerboats in the water, although they are the ones prepped and launched 100% by the marina . This weekend will be wax on / wax off ala Maine Sail techniques and then hit the water Tues.

Although the docks are open there was large area of ice that was blown down the bay by the wind.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Wooo hooo... I'll be talking to the marina guys tomorrow. :) I'm hoping for sometime mid next week.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Interesting question,- I didn't get it at first because of it's regional meaning. Many of us only haul out for a few days once every few years!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting question,- I didn't get it at first because of it's regional meaning. Many of us only haul out for a few days once every few years!

This is the Lake Huron section eh ..... for the ice bound in the Great White North.... not the sunny warm beaches and hot weather southernerners :mad: :p :p :p :D

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Yeah, well, you're not welcome in this section of the forum, Mr. WeOnlyHaulOutOnceEveryFewYears! ;)

I plan to take the tarps off this weekend and do some minor maintainence (replace swingkeel wire, oil teak, wax hullsides). Then I'll be ready to go!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Scottbr, Sorry, my mistake! ... I keep pulling posts off the "new posts" menu and I forget that they have all these defined categories. I need to watch my step! Aythya crew

·
Mark on Camper 58
199 Posts
It was 22 yestertay AM in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Its so cold in Muskegon at the boat that the hour ride home with full heat on didn't do it. I was still shaking when I stepped into the shower. Ice still on the lakes in Travers City and the glacier pushed up behind the transom finally melted last week. In Feb. you could step onto the boat from the ice pile. Tarps will not come off for at least two or three weeks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scottbr, Sorry, my mistake! ... I keep pulling posts off the "new posts" menu and I forget that they have all these defined categories. I need to watch my step! Aythya crew

Of course you're more than welcome to step in and melt the ice anytime ;)

Pictures of the sunny south would always help as well. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was 22 yestertay AM in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Its so cold in Muskegon at the boat that the hour ride home with full heat on didn't do it. I was still shaking when I stepped into the shower. Ice still on the lakes in Travers City and the glacier pushed up behind the transom finally melted last week. In Feb. you could step onto the boat from the ice pile. Tarps will not come off for at least two or three weeks.
I wish it was 22 here, only supposed to hit 15 on Sat., but that should be warm enough to get the waxing done......

OHHHH ............... you mean deg. Farenheit :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
315 Posts
scottbr said "OHHHH ............... you mean deg. Farenheit :confused: :confused: :eek:"

Don't tell them about the Farenheit thing Scott... Make 'em think we are brave and crazy when we say "it was a perfect day... steady 15 knots from the northwest and 27 deg!"

I went up to my boat at Bayfield on the weekend and there are no boats in yet. Harbour Lights Marina at Bayfield took a big hit 6 or 7 weeks ago when we had a quick thaw that raised the water level in the river which broke the ice and sent huge chunks of ice flying down the river maybe 4 ft above normal depth wiping out seawalls, docks and posts... even those off in basins away from the main flow of the river. There is lots of work going on to repair it all.
I'm havng some work done on my boat (new engine $$$$ :eek: ) in Bayfield, then moving to Lions Head for a May 16 - 18 communal launch date.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I've been out about 5 times this year already. Just for 3,4 hours after work is all.

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
Just waiting for my prop shaft to come back from the machine shop,then installing a new cutlass bearing and ill be ready to splash.
Then im off to hindson where she comes out again to get some work done on the decks.
I was planning for bay moorings to do the work but I figure a FULL YEAR of waiting for an estimate and getting nothing but lame excuses is probably a good sign I should go somewhere else.
Ill be up the next couple of weekends if the weather stays nice to pull off the covers and spring clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Received a call from the marina, I am in! Looked out the window and noticed it was snowing. You have to love New Jersey weather.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just waiting for my prop shaft to come back from the machine shop,then installing a new cutlass bearing and ill be ready to splash.
Then im off to hindson where she comes out again to get some work done on the decks.
I was planning for bay moorings to do the work but I figure a FULL YEAR of waiting for an estimate and getting nothing but lame excuses is probably a good sign I should go somewhere else.
Ill be up the next couple of weekends if the weather stays nice to pull off the covers and spring clean.

I'll be up on Sat. all day and staying over night in the boat. We're 4th row of sailboats going away from the store in the parking lot, sandwiched inbewteen all the powerboats, right in front of the washrooms/showers. Sunset Chaser on the bow. Drop by and say hi.

·
cap'n chronic
235 Posts
Yeah, thats the one.We both had prop shaft issues last year, his a little more severe.Ill probably be the one stuffed into his sail locker this weekend to get it back together.
My boat is closer to the travel lift in front of the house.My brother has a searay stinkpot in the marina aswell.We'll all be up getting ready for the water.
Its supposed to be nice and warm this weekend,hopefully I can get everything finished.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts