SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I like Albergs, but there are lots of better deals out there than that. I'd pass.

·
Banned
325 Posts
I've been absent from sailnet for a while. Used too the buzzards would have swept in on this post and the poor junior member would not have seen it coming. I'm kind of enjoying the new environment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I recently got a very tough little boat, (24') in about the same shape but with no deck problems, with trailer... and it was free. From what I have seen around N. CA you can get a heck of a lot more boat for $4 or $5 k.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
10K without an engine? (not even an A4 !!?) 1968? Price going up with "improvements"? It would appear that you want to keep this boat.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Yeah try $1500 and be happy if some one turns up with $1000.

With the need to re engine it you are pretty close to negative equity and a chainsaw.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I love that it lists as a selling point "New aluminum 12 gallon fuel tank." That will come in handy if you decide you want an engine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Would anybody be interested in this little project?

1968 Alberg 30, $ 10,000.00
I've been looking for a 30'er(+-) for friends to buy to use a few seasons and then sell(they live out of the US). There are options for solid 30'ers re-powered with diesels, ready to sail, newer than the Alburg, that can be bought for under 10k in this region.

Project 30'ers on the other hand just don't seem to sell at any price-many that need lots of big parts, have a reached a non-value.

That is a nice boat but the deals these days are on the better maintained boats. The loss in investment to the seller on upgrades and maintenance are the the buyers big gain these days.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
this is one good thing about alberg 30, they retain their value quite well even in "project conditions"

for example you can get an absolute refitted and ready to go pearson triton for 10k with little cosmetic projects, and inboard all good to go for this price

but in similar conditions albergs go for at least 50% more...

so its not uncommon to see high priced project alberg 30s...

while steep in asking price and no inboard its not UNCOMMON to see these values...

just sayin

id love an alberg 30 quite the neat cruiser....

if it were me selling the boat id at least get the mast up in sailable condition and maybe slap an outboard to seal the deal but Id expect on a good day in this marketto maybe get 7k.

again just sayin

cheers

just for a price comparo last year I sold(bad market) a completely cruise and offshore ready islander 34(the old version)

with:

working autohelm wheel autopilot
aries tilt up windvane
dodger
4 jibs, 2 mains, pole spinny
wood stove
electric water tanks, heater, and firdge
rebuilt atomic 4 in excellent condition

and all the typical gadgets and gizmos, bbq, stereo, spares, even a seagull outboard in a bracket that worked

for 8k...

Reactions: Group9

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
New engine - $8,000
Imron paint - $6,000
Sails - $4,500
Recore deck area - $2,000
Standing rigging - $1,600
These are just WAGs, but probably pretty close. You will be looking at about $30,000. Add your time to do all the above and you can be sailing in the fall of 2015. Now what can you find in a ready to go condition for $30.000?
If you really want this boat, let him keep working on it and when he's finished offer him $15K
John

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well thats steep boss

I can counter that with a few changes

outboard 800 or new 1500
paint roll on 300-500
standing rig 1k
recore if needed $500

I didnt understand the sails, so it has no sails?

if so used 1k or from other boats even less

new yeah about 3-5k

all in all when you consider what boats are on the market in ready to go condition its hard to justify the price

anywhoo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts