SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about camaraderie. I think I got the name right.
What I remember is that he was a moderator.
Folks ranked on him about his barbecue grills.
I believe he had a Catalina and did some consulting for Catalina.
He had been cruising for years with children.

I heard he got injured. But don't know the details.
Anyone know the story and know how he is doing.
Is he still involved with sailing? Have a blog?

Another old timer was sailingdog or saildog.
He had a trimarne. Was a little controversial but very knowledgeable.
I heard his boat burned.
Did he get a new boat, blog?

Another character I don't remember his handle but he was very controversial, and his avatar said "Gruntled"
I think his wife died.
I remember there was some bad blood, and he left the forum, but I'll bet he is posting somewhere else?

I miss some of my old friends.

Reactions: zeehag

·
19,489 Posts
David

Camaradarie was a mod but you're thinking of Cruising Dad. He did have some sort of accident but apparently has recovered; his family is pretty active on Facebook these days. They had/have a Catalina 400, I think, but had been thinking of going to the dark side.

No idea what Sailing Dog is up to, did hear that his boat was burned. Very sorry to hear that and hope that things are going better for him now.

Nature of the forums, I suppose, members come and go for various reasons.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David

Camaradarie was a mod but you're thinking of Cruising Dad. He did have some sort of accident but apparently has recovered; his family is pretty active on Facebook these days. They had/have a Catalina 400, I think, but had been thinking of going to the dark side.
That's him. Do you happen do know the facebook name so I can find him again.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Pretty common to lose several posters to the sea each year. I respect those that just cast off, when they're done with this anchorage. As opposed to those that feel the need to unload some pent up frustration, leave a manifesto that requires an adjust to screen resolution to read and slam the door on the way out. About half the door slammers come back too. :)

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Sailing Dog's boat did burn while on the hard. My recollection is that he passed away not too long after that.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
Sailing Dog's boat did burn while on the hard. My recollection is that he passed away not too long after that.
That a fact? What a shame. Lost his wife too, before his boat, iirc.

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I was just thinking about camaraderie. I think I got the name right.
What I remember is that he was a moderator.
Folks ranked on him about his barbecue grills.
I believe he had a Catalina and did some consulting for Catalina.
He had been cruising for years with children.

I heard he got injured. But don't know the details.
Anyone know the story and know how he is doing.
Is he still involved with sailing? Have a blog?

Another old timer was sailingdog or saildog.
He had a trimarne. Was a little controversial but very knowledgeable.
I heard his boat burned.
Did he get a new boat, blog?

Another character I don't remember his handle but he was very controversial, and his avatar said "Gruntled"
I think his wife died.
I remember there was some bad blood, and he left the forum, but I'll bet he is posting somewhere else?

I miss some of my old friends.
I think Cam (along with a group of others including Sailingdog) moved his show over to Anything Sailing. As far as I know, they started off well, then tailed off greatly. Last I checked (which had to have been a couple of years ago), there were no new postings at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they were completely gone by now. I really liked Cam's postings too.

As far as "Gruntled" goes, that was the oft-discussed, sometimes loved, sometimes hated but never boring Smackdaddy. Yes, his wife did die in a tragic car accident. He was banned from here, but if you want to catch up with him, he has a blog on his bfs (Big, Freakin' Sails) site. Enjoy.

SMACKTALK! | For Big Freakin' Sailors.

·
Senior Moment Member
76 Posts
You kids now adays and yer fancy new Sailnet chat apps. Why back in my day we use to have to post uphill in the snow both ways..and we LIKED it! :smile

Good to see the forums are still here and with quite a few old and new names. Looking forward to catching up on the wealth of knowledge contained within. Most people I have met here have definitely been copper bottomed. Missed you all very much.
:smile

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm working on a bot that will scan the internet looking for cool sailing stuff and repost it on Sailnet. That way I can die and it will take years before you guys will figure it out.

That's about all I do anyway so no one will know.

·
3,506 Posts
Sailing In Sumatra...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Mark your calendars on June 1, the Smack is back! YEA! Well that is what is posted over on SMACKTALK! | For Big Freakin' Sailors.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,184 Posts
As I recall; "Cam," or "Camradarie" was a mod that got into a scrap with the owners of Tartan. I believe that he sold his boat and bought a motorhome :eek:

"CD" or CruisingDad was another moderator, and is the guy that we used to rib about his BBQ grill. He smacked his head on the boom of his Catalina 400, and that put him out of commission for a while. I believe that he recovered, but he does not post here anymore.

SailingDog's Telstar 28 trimaran, "Pretty Gee," which was named after his late wife, burned while on the hard. I was shocked that a few members posted some disparaging comments about him in the thread where his misfortune was announced:frown. But I guess this is the internet...He got frustrated here, and moved on to other fora before the fire.

Smackdaddy, as you know, suffered some personal misfortune, and has his own blog. He was banned from SailNet for bad behavior.

... I'm still here, for whatever that's worth.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
999 Posts
Anyone heard from Capt. Aaron recently?

·
12,147 Posts
:smile
I still miss anything-sailing. At least the high water mark of it. That was a great forum while it lasted.

I am with you Chip.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still miss anything-sailing. At least the high water mark of it. That was a great forum while it lasted.
I just bought the domain name anythingsailing.com with no hyphen.

I was surprised it was available. Don't know what I'll do with it, should think of something.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts