SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than avoidable sinkings at the dock, or groundings from not paying attention, has anyone heard of any Crealocks lost at sea?

I can't seem to find any stories on the net.

Not looking for any particular incident, just looking to satisfy morbid curiosity.

Thanks,

-C

·
I can't re Member
217 Posts
Crealock boats or Crealock family members?

I actually haven't heard of either personally.

goat

·
s/v Pelagic
74 Posts
Some time ago I copied details of a report on the loss of the C37 s/v Spirit Healer during Hurricane Marty in 2003. The details were posted on the website of s/v Mirador. While not an open ocean loss I found the details of how several boats, including Spirit Healer, weathered this hurricane in the Sea of Cortez instructive. Here is the link for their logs from 2003 THE VOYGAGES OF MIRADOR

There was also the Crealock 37 on the reef in Hawaii that Pacific Seacraft used in an ad for the circumnavigator package at least 10 years ago. I believe that boat was salvaged by dragging it over the reef to open water.

Regards,
John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl (#22)

·
Junior member, rest old
499 Posts
A friend of mine was on a Pacific Seacraft 37 that they decided to abandon off Bermuda 4 or 5 years ago. I don't know if the boat was ever recovered and I don't remember which storm, but it was one of several boats that were either abandoned or went down in the same storm.
I don't believe there were any true failures of the boat itself (hull, steering, rigging). As I recall, they lost both sail and engine power although I don't remember why they couldn't sail- not a rig failure. The owner was injured, and I'm sure that was a major factor in the decision. I do recall that their real problem wasn't the wind but the waves and confused seas.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A friend of mine was on a Pacific Seacraft 37 that they decided to abandon off Bermuda 4 or 5 years ago. I don't know if the boat was ever recovered and I don't remember which storm, but it was one of several boats that were either abandoned or went down in the same storm.
I don't believe there were any true failures of the boat itself (hull, steering, rigging). As I recall, they lost both sail and engine power although I don't remember why they couldn't sail- not a rig failure. The owner was injured, and I'm sure that was a major factor in the decision. I do recall that their real problem wasn't the wind but the waves and confused seas.
Most keelboats are lost to waves rather than wind.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
W.I.B. Crealock designed a lot of boats . Among them he designed the Westsail 32 and 42,43 . Sadly , yes some have been lost at sea . I recall one 32 was lost about 10 yrs. ago , it started out from Hawaii bound for LA . at the wrong time of year . Nothing was recovered . If you want a good read do a googie on Satori .

·
Registered
586 Posts
W.I.B. Crealock designed a lot of boats . Among them he designed the Westsail 32 and 42,43 . Sadly , yes some have been lost at sea . I recall one 32 was lost about 10 yrs. ago , it started out from Hawaii bound for LA . at the wrong time of year . Nothing was recovered . If you want a good read do a googie on Satori .
Bad juju? One of my boats is named Satori.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts