SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little fibreglass dink, the serial number starts with NSE. My insurance company wants to know the make and year and I have no idea. Anyone happen to know what manufacturer used NSE serial numbers?

·
19,488 Posts
In this area it's likely to be a 'Bosun' something-or-other built by Booth in Victoria, but I'm not sure if the NSE matches up with that....

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
It looks exactly like a Ranger Minto. I don't know how they do their serial numbers, but I know two Minto owners and can check one of their boats if that would be helpful.

This is a Minto turned upside down:

The skeg is slightly more squared off on yours.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I found the MIC/HIN database, but the serial number isn't in a HIN format so I suspect the code doesn't necessarily relate. I can't find anything about the company other than that listing.

·
2,309 Posts
Since it looks so close to a Minto (it sounds like Booth also made Mintos) I would email Rich Passage and see if they have any hints on how to identify who made it:
Minto Sailing Dingy History

There is a little history there. It's interesting to note that Booth was really well known for making the fiberglass Thunderbirds and the original maker of the Minto was also involved in the Thunderbird.

Or just tell your insurance that it is a Ranger Minto and call it good.

·
2,309 Posts
Do you have a teak gunwale? It looks like the Booth does not and the Ranger does.

They sail nicely if you got the sailing kit with it too. The sail area is larger than on my Dyer Dhow and the Minto's shrouds allow it to point higher than the unstayed mast on my boat.

·
Dirt Free
2,828 Posts
Did the dink come with your C&C from Ontario ? If so, the dink looks exactly like a Boatex, made in Ontario

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No idea where it came from, I bought the boat last year and dinghy was part of the package. The Boatex seem to have a lot more tumblehome than mine so not sure if that's a good match or not. I think I'll just tell the insurance it's a Minto and have done with it. Not like they would actually pay to replace it with another one anyway.

·
Dirt Free
2,828 Posts
No idea where it came from, I bought the boat last year and dinghy was part of the package. The Boatex seem to have a lot more tumblehome than mine so not sure if that's a good match or not. I think I'll just tell the insurance it's a Minto and have done with it. Not like they would actually pay to replace it with another one anyway.
* Warning - Thread Drift*
The "50E" at the beginning of the license number on your bow indicates your boat was originally licensed in Toronto, Ontario.If you did not know this it suggests that you may not have changed the license to your name after buying the boat. This could make it difficult to sell the boat as the next owner tries to change ownership with a bill of sale and license holder names not matching and may pose a problem if you are not the licensed owner should an insurance claim occur.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The boat is not required to be licensed and a license is not proof of ownership. The license has long since expired.

·
Dirt Free
2,828 Posts
The boat is not required to be licensed and a license is not proof of ownership. The license has long since expired.
True, it is not proof of ownership but can be problematic if license and bill of sale are in different names. License not required if the engine is less than 10hp only. Licenses are valid for 10yrs. Renewal is mandatory if the engine is 10hp or over.

·
19,488 Posts
True, it is not proof of ownership but can be problematic if license and bill of sale are in different names. License not required if the engine is less than 10hp only. Licenses are valid for 10yrs. Renewal is mandatory if the engine is 10hp or over.
BP - is that an Ontario thing? AFAIK in BC they are open ended....

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, 10yrs then they expire in Canada. My engine is a massive 8hp so no license required.

·
19,488 Posts
Yep, 10yrs then they expire in Canada. My engine is a massive 8hp so no license required.
Damn.. bought this boat 10 years ago this fall so I guess it's renewal time - still free, I hope??

·
Sailor
931 Posts
Did the dink come with your C&C from Ontario ? If so, the dink looks exactly like a Boatex, made in Ontario

I have a Boatex dingy - I don't think that's a good match as the skeg is very squared off and yours is much less so.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
19,488 Posts
An update on the thread drift above re licensing.. If your current license does not have an expiry date, it doesn't ever need renewing. If it's 'new' enough to have been printed with an expiry date then it's a 10 year license and must be renewed on that basis. Also, despite having moved from the "K" numbers to "BC" numbers, you will keep your original number when you renew if it's a "K".

All this from an email from Transport Canada.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts