SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Anyone seen a boat run the coachroof traveler control lines aft? I'd like to dump air using the traveler while single-handing.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice port & starboard liners. I can visualize flipping the line to open the cleat... how does that work to close the cleat?

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Absolutely, run them long as you need to! My traveler is here;

but the lines go all the way to here; (Note the cam cleat behind the non self tailer.) They work for the trav. or the jibsheets

the lines are now all blue specked 3/8" removed the red.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
I am on the 2 year plan to upgrade my boat.. the boats I am looking at are wheel steering, and generally cruisers first... One of the things I don't wanna give up is decent mainsail control, in my mind the traveler should be in front of the week across the cockpit.

This is an interesting topic to me... One of the things I've done to my traveler was run a continuous line on it, so I can release from the high side. So coach roof setups made me wonder how they'd run back to the skippers position, and would it be possible to setup a continuous line like that.

So yeah, what does one do to run them back?
I am looking at 28ish foot cruisers, looking for deck stepped mast, but most of the traveler arrangements are coach roof, a few are on the bridge deck (better, but not perfect either)... pretty much only the J/28 and Precision 28 have it where I personally think it should be.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I hear you SCHNOOL. And as you move up in size, finding something other than a cabin top traveler with mid-boom sheeting is almost impossible. It's what I ended up with and I've gotten used to it, but I do miss my old CAL 9.2 at times where I could reach mainsheet, traveler, and jibsheet without taking a step. She had a bridge deck mounted traveler, but a tiller, not a wheel. Do have confess I like how easy it is to move about the cockpit with the traveler out of way and it does make a dodger installation easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definitely like my traveler at the helm. But the new cruising boats almost all have the traveler up in no-man's land. I too rigged a continuous line for my traveler. I wonder how many turning and cheek blocks it would take to run a continuous line around to the helm of a 40-footer?

Reactions: SHNOOL

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
On a my 28' boat the traveler is on the bridgedeck and is a single looped control. When I'm single handing I sit beside the wheel (not behind it) and the traveler is in easy reach from the wheel. When I'm sailing or racing with a larger crew I'm behind the wheel and the traveler and mainsheet are in easy reach for the crew. This placement also works well with the nearly endboom sheeting on my boat, where having it farther aft would allow the mainsheet to clothsline crew.

I also like having it back by the wheel, but think that is best for boats with a larger cockpit (8' benches vs the 6' benches you'll find on a typical 28' cruiser).

I don't like having it on the coachroof either. I understand why the average cruising boat has it there though, it is a location that is compatible with a dodger or bimini (or both).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts