SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping my hull for bottom paint. Underneath my black bottom paint is a bright metallic copper colored barrier coating. Has anyone seen this product before? I need to touch up a few spots but do not know what to use.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Buy some bronze powder, mix it with epoxy. I did this on a boat just because I happed to have the bronze powder and nothing else to thicken the epoxy. Looked awesome.

·
Barquito
3,657 Posts
I think you might find a few copper colored bottom paints. Pettit has one. You will need to determine if the previous coat(s) are ablative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a bit more research, I think it may be VC-17m antifouling paint. I seem to have 3 layers: gray barrier coat, metallic copper layer, then black bottom paint. It may be that the prior owner put this paint on as an indicator coat to know when the black antifouling was ablated. I plan to go with 2 coats of water-based anti-fouling. Hoping to get a couple of years in New England waters since I will be living aboard year round. Has anyone used the water based antifouling paints?

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I use VC-17m on my boat. VC-17 has copper powder that's added to the can just prior to application. It goes on as a bronze/copper color, but turns gray/black after a bit of time in the water.

I suspect the "black bottom paint" you're seeing over the copper layer is just more VC that's turned dark.

FYI - Pettit SR-21 is very similar.

·
Barquito
3,657 Posts
I don't think you can put an ablative paint over VC-17. You would need to get all the old VC off first. VC-17 is good in the Great Lakes. By your name, I'm guessing you are not in the Midwest.

·
Registered
23,475 Posts
I bought a boat from the Great Lakes with VC17, knowing it was inappropriate for salt water. I didn't want to be laid up, so I just hired a diver all season to keep us clean. Therefore, I can attest that VC17 is nearly useless in New England waters, unless you mean an inland lake.

When I went to recoat, I got a ton of conflicting information. In fact, I found a Petit compatibility chart that said you could use some of their salt water products on top of VC17, after a rough sanding. It turns out they changed their position and I ultimately had all the VC17 removed first.

·
Registered
23,475 Posts
By the way, we use Petit Vivid in RI and, other than slime, we accumulate zero hard growth. We don't, however, stay in year round.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts