SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving out of Montauk, IF (IF the big IF, not a little if) we deem conditions are ok, we'd leave Montauk and head the 5 miles to Montauk point where we'd be exposed to winds and waves. We'd practice sailing east of the point, no sense going out a ton of miles to get to the conditions, it would be better to practice where we could duck back west and out of it, when we wanted. We'd also practice heaving to and applying different reefing arrangements.

Then we'd head back into more protected waters behind the point and sail back to the lake. Elapsed time off the point could be 1 hour or 2, more or less depending on how eveyone was doing.

PM me if you are interested. You could sleep on the boat Saturday night. Food and beer included. You would be responsible for bringing ice, availble at local stores. You would be expected to help with cooking and dishes. Bring foul weather gear. Bring a harness if you have one.

All this is dependent on the conditions being not too bad. I want to advance skills a bit in as safe a manner as possible. This looks like it *might* be a rare oportunity to meet that criteria. Again, we might not go at all if conditions look like they are too much.

Regards

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on the finger food. I'm planning to be back in a protected lake soon after we have fun out in the waves. I'm all for finger food though.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Bene - I would KILL to be able to join you guys!

Be careful out there, dude. And bring back a tall tale!!!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Yeah, photos too.

Remember, no pictures -- it didn't happen!!:D :D :D :D

Seriously, good luck and be safe.

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Watch out for submarines!

Sounds like its going to be exciting! Have fun. Are you going to run a jack-line?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, have fun man! Be safe. Is your son going or is he going surfing?

We had fun the other week.

-Shawn

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I'll be the only to post - "You are an idiot" even considering. PNW - 30-60 unsustained...and you want bragging rights to doing a hurricane / trop storm. Sorry pal - a brainless idea.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not an idiot - go for it. When we kept Paloma boat up on Galveston Bay, whenever bad weather was coming, three of us experienced sailors would head down to Seabrook, grab the boat and head out into it. And Galveston Bay is shallow, so the waves don't hold - they either break or just giant chop. Great fun - but not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'll be the only to post - "You are an idiot" even considering. PNW - 30-60 unsustained...and you want bragging rights to doing a hurricane / trop storm. Sorry pal - a brainless idea.
Jody,

It's not as bad as you think, it's only a tropical depression with winds at 40 mph passing to the east of Cape Cod. Montauck will have less winds and the seas won't be too high. I have done it in a tropical storm on my 30 ft boat and Bene has a 50 ft, so not so bad.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Jody,

It's not as bad as you think, it's only a tropical depression with winds at 40 mph passing to the east of Cape Cod. Montauck will have less winds and the seas won't be too high. I have done it in a tropical storm on my 30 ft boat and Bene has a 50 ft, so not so bad.
It is unpredictable - footage doesn't matter - know I have a near 40 ft. Just advert it - and for BFS stuff - I don't enjoy rewarding stupidity when we all know better. Since when is 40 knt AVG - its those above what you expect that knocks you down and kills you - its a tropical storm and NE at that... I have worries on any one that jumps at that sailing wish...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm sorry Jody, but one of us is misunderstanding. I do agree with you that knowingly sailing into a bad storm is not a good idea at all. A minimal tropical storm is not bad, have been out in them and did very well, 25 to 50 kt winds. But this is now a depression at least 100 miles out so the wind and waves at Montauck are much less. To me the Pacific Northwest on a good day would have worst seas then Montauck has now.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Jody,

You and I have gotten along sense you joined Sailnet and I consider you a friend, I don't mean to sound argumentative, I know the area and the conditions Bene is sailing in and it's not what you think. Bene is building his sailing skills with this boat and he from what I've been reading in the last year or so he has been doing quite well. He has been causes and methodical with his learning how to do things with this boat.
Tell me if your plans were to go cruising off shore how would you gain the necessary skills?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Jody,

You and I have gotten along sense you joined Sailnet and I consider you a friend, I don't mean to sound argumentative, I know the area and the conditions Bene is sailing in and it's not what you think. Bene is building his sailing skills with this boat and he from what I've been reading in the last year or so he has been doing quite well. He has been causes and methodical with his learning how to do things with this boat.
Tell me if your plans were to go cruising off shore how would you gain the necessary skills?
Denby, I could not agree more, nothing personal.

I think since my grounding - a greater respect to the environment comes to play. See the BoatUS "cookies" story..

Nothing personal against you really, just I think we like to take light of what we deal with. Your hurricane is about equiv to a heavy NW storm. Its unpredictable. We may have the greatest test tools on earth but when sailing we are 2 days beyond the effect.

Nothing personal - I object, the manner and carelessness the OP gave, with such disrepair to actual conditions.. that simple.

My efforts.. acquiring the gear to do off shore with Safety in mind...before i do it..I already have the MOB system installed, 18 hi tech life vests etc ( we can carry up to twelve the rest are for distress situations)... I am one of the more safety conscious sailors out here.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I understand, it's tough going back and forth over the internet and not in person, and I do understand the respect you have gained do to the grounding. It probable would have scared the heck out of me and not have been able to recover as you did.
Rest assured that Bene is doing a good job with his learning curve and is causes, he is in a very good area and in not so bad conditions. We are not talking hurricane conditions, far from it.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I understand, it's tough going back and forth over the internet and not in person, and I do understand the respect you have gained do to the grounding. It probable would have scared the heck out of me and not have been able to recover as you did.
Rest assured that Bene is doing a good job with his learning curve and is causes, he is in a very good area and in not so bad conditions. We are not talking hurricane conditions, far from it.
Its the prospect it is not what is predicted that scares me as being fellow sailor.. and thanks.. we should hook up sometime... thats my message - I lived during multiple hurricanes etc..(David, Hugo etc) - I know what they can do.. just think its stupid to try to gamble on this...it can change at a moments notice..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts