SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty well says it. Have got the NavionicsHD app (charts look great) but on a wifi/non gps iPad.

There are a few rcvrs around using bluetooth for $100 or so, seems like they should work. Any experience/stories??

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a wifi only iPad, I just got a Bad Elf GPS Pro : http://bad-elf.com/products/be-gps-2200

My boat isn't in the water yet :( but I've tested it at home and it appears to be more accurate than the position I get from WiFi. By about 20+ ft. I got this one because it will simultaneously pair with multiple devices so I can use my ipad, iphone, and laptop and get GPS on all of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Somewhat similar deal - I have a Delorme InReach GPS sat tracker with bluetooth (similar to SPOT but with global coverage and 2-way texting), which I hook into via my iPhone. I have no cell provider here in Mexico, and the 3GS iPhone's inboard GPS often can't pinpoint my location when we're away from shore; however, when I link it to the InReach my Navionics app seems to piggyback on the location/speed data because all of a sudden it knows where I am.

It sounds like the setup you're thinking about should work fine.

·
WindyCitySailor
18 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rik, that's the combo I was looking at. Considerably cheaper than the bed elf, though that looks a good unit too with its own display data.

I wonder if there's a bad elf cord for the newer smaller iPad plug, although the XGPS150 doesn't offer that option anyhow.

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have an Emprum UltiMate GPS that cost me $100.00 online, comes with iPad app program for software support. It fits my iPad, iPhone & iPod old plug.
I only use it when on trips since I have the iPhone for land based travel. Even on trips it is only 5-6 trips so I don't really use it that much, just another cool toy. The GPS sucks battery power so you will need an on board charge system. That extension cord looks like a good idea, I may spring for one even if it is only 3' long, it looks like it will fit in the hole through the case I have, one of those 'Survivor' military style covers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rikhall and gerrycooper - I like the looks of the Dual XGPS150 (now Dual XGPS150a) also. Did you just download the appropriate raster charts from the NOAA site? And what app do you use to manage the charts? I use SeaClear for my netbook but find it not always easy to use although it really does the job.
I'm actually doing this for someone else, and I'd like to make this as much of a "turnkey" operation as I can.
Thanks for your help.
Dick

·
Not quite Senior Member
Jeanneau Attalia
384 Posts
Dick,

This is an older thread. In future, you want to look at the date of the last post before posting something as most people have moved onto other topics. (Although some endure)There is lots on Sailnet on this topic so you can do a search. You may find your answer. In my case, I have an Ipad 2 with the Dual (bought a few months ago). They work flawlesly and are fairly easy to use. As I am in the Caribbean, I bought and downloaded INavX ($50) and bought the Caribbean charts ($50). I keep both the Ipad and the Dual down below at the chart table (with the GPS pointing up through one of the widows. I also keep both the Dual and the Ipad plugged into usb chargers from the 12V system. (I often sail for more than 12 hrs at a stretch). I also took off the automatic sleep mode on the IPAD so that it stays on the whole time. I dont have a chartplotter yet so I also use paper charts with a few GPS handhelds. Works for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.