SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can people tell me about their experiences with an early O'Day 22 (or a similar sloop)? I recently found a '71 O'Day 22 for sale. We haven't looked at it yet. What issues were specific to these O'Days?

From my understanding - a quick look at websites on them (including the reviews here) - noted it is a shoal draft. I found notes that several hundred pounds of ballast weight was added a few years after introduction (1974?). That suggests to me it won't sail close to the wind, nor very quickly. The shoal keel's lower maintenance versus a swing keel does appeal to me. The boat in question has a trailer and likely would be used that way.

My wife and I are new - but we successfully completed a sailing class this summer. That said, during the class we sailed J/24 and a J/80 boats. I know there's a big difference between the O'Day "gunkholer" and those racing boats. We aren't out for a speed boat but one that can be enjoyed on weekends with an occasional overnight.

Thanks!

Mike

· Registered
73 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looked it over today.
We will find a boat to fulfill our dreams. However, we won't bother with this particular O'Day.
It sat outside for an extended period after extended time in water. They were asking $2500 but have done zero maintenance. It can't even roll from the lot in present condition - the trailer needs work. The boat needs work.
It has been sitting on the trailer (tongue down) with water collecting inside. The boom has a sail and cover wrapped around it but laying in the cockpit, window seals are shot, a hatch had been installed in the deck but was shot, winches sounded .... sad.
We didn't expect a perfect boat, but we didn't expect a project boat or project trailer from the glowing description.
Oh, forgot to mention, the motor mount was broken off the boat ... there was a stub sticking out from the stern....
The economy may be affecting prices and what's available. This shows it's still a caveat emptor market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.