SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the pre-SeaDek Stage. Some of my foredeck I am applying it to has a non skid surface laid into the gelcoat that is the waffle XXXX pattern. It is about 1/8" deep.

what kind of ideas would you guys have to get a nice adhesion for this sticky-pad stuff?

I was considering using a filler in the non-skid, then fairing smooth and sanding, finally applying a coat of epoxy primer before laying on the mats.

Likewise, I'm still in the pre-purchase review of the material. I can always change the product I'm going to apply. All I know now is that with this factory non-skid is barely a traction option at all in the rain or in spray when it gets wet. This seemed like the best option.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I would sand the gelcoat antiskid down a bit before filling and fairing, otherwise you're adding a lot more fairing material than you really need IMHO. That could add up to a surprising amount of weight. I'd also recommend you fair it with epoxy thickened with chopped fiberglass, rather than microballons or collodial sillica—the first will absorb water, the second is almost impossible to fair neatly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts