SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
OK... it won't be EPA legal, but is there any reason why I can't convert a regular 2 gallon red plastic gas tank? After all, it won't ever be stored in an enclosed space, so there is no reason why it has to be have one of those terrible vapor seals. I have no locker in my boat. The gas tank has to sit on the floor of the cockpit stealing floor space from the Helmsperson.
Check my last post there was a link to a conversion kit by craftsman CRAFTSMAN Sears Outboard Motor Optional gas tank assembl ... Parts | Model 21758620 | SearsPartsDirect

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
I went through 13 gallons motoring on dead seas and dense then fighting 25 knot winds and 5 foot seas when a guy named Arthur passed by on the 4th. If you really don't have a huge sailing area, a three gallon might be fine. But me, I won't leave the dock without both 6 gallon tanks full. Last weekend we sailed 130 miles in four days.
The op was looking for small tank for dink
I carry up to 21 on my little 24 when doing longer cruises also use gasoline in my cooking stove

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
Yeah i saw that one, and then I saw the price tag of $155 + Shipping. Unbelievable! If I could afford that I would ALSO be in a much bigger sailboat.
Back in the day me and my old man made a fuel tank ourselves in fiberglass by laying up flat panels in fiberglass you could do that r check with a local metal cav shop they would be happy to make it for you heck some of the independent shops you may be able to barter the job. Here in the pnw that would be easy to get done make a couple calls and check I out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.