SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Chuck,

I'm trying to remember what they were building there?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts

John,

Just one of a few BIG name boats they built! High end custom boats.

marty

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The cynical part of me is wondering if any of the owners of boats there were behind on their boat payments...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Billy Ruff'n in on the hard in that yard, and this is the first I've heard of the fire. It appears from the photos that the fire was in the NEB shops -- there are several shops in these quanset huts -- woodworking, mechanical, metal working as well as the engineering offices and materials inventories. They do a lot of building with high tech materials so there are probably lots of nasty chemicals stored about the yard.

I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to see if we still have a sailboat.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I hope BillyRuffin is okay... good luck BR. :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Billy Ruff'n in on the hard in that yard, and this is the first I've heard of the fire. It appears from the photos that the fire was in the NEB shops -- there are several shops in these quanset huts -- woodworking, mechanical, metal working as well as the engineering offices and materials inventories. They do a lot of building with high tech materials so there are probably lots of nasty chemicals stored about the yard.

I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to see if we still have a sailboat.
Good luck BillyR. Hope all is well witht he boat.

Thanks for the info, Marty. Not exactly your run-of-the-mill boats they're building!

·
Belliure 41'
136 Posts
No boats on the hard or in the water were damaged by the fire with the exception of boats within the affected buildings. 3 buildings were a total loss. Place looks like a bomb went off.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Considering what some of the chemicals they probably had stored in fairly decent quantity, I'm not surprised. MEKP is a pretty potent chemical, and just one of many they probably had on hand.
No boats on the hard or in the water were damaged by the fire with the exception of boats within the affected buildings. 3 buildings were a total loss. Place looks like a bomb went off.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I left slip 167 Tuesday morning – the slip just next to building 6 which is one of the buildings impacted by the fire. My thoughts go out to Paul and Carlos and the rest of the wonderful people working NEB in those buildings and I hope that NEB will be up and running again shortly.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I spoke with the yard yesterday and they said no boats were damanged, but I'm now glad I had not taken the cover off. After an unpleasant experience with diesel soot from the container yard in Colon, Panama, I image the smoke from this fire may have left a few boats pretty dirty.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
That's probably an understatement... Glad to hear BR is okay. :)
I spoke with the yard yesterday and they said no boats were damanged, but I'm now glad I had not taken the cover off. After an unpleasant experience with diesel soot from the container yard in Colon, Panama, I image the smoke from this fire may have left a few boats pretty dirty.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in business after a few days - rebuilding

Good news update - Friday May 1 - 1.5 min video
NBC-10 Boat Company Rises from the Ashes

PORTSMOUTH, R.I.—New England Boatworks in Portsmouth is operating at full-strength, only a week after a four-alarm fire ripped through several buildings at the 35-acre facility.

Employees are thrilled to be back on the job.

“I’m very happy to be back“ said Mike Murgo.

The cause of the fire is still unknown. Owners said they plan to rebuild the three buildings damaged in the blaze.

There is a bigger story in the print edition of the Providence Journal Saturday morning, but it's not online yet.

According to Karl Nordstrom, the HR & Safety Director, 80 out of 100 employees were back to work on April 24, the day after the fire, and the rest returned on April 27. A 55 foot sailboat under construction was undamaged and is expected to be delivered on time in July.

Personal note: I used to work with Karl, in the 1980's at Texas Instruments - We both owned P-30's, and he donated his old roller furling gear to replace the headstay for my hanked on jib, when he upgraded his.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts