SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking for an outboard for my dingy for the past few months, and came across this brand "APS". I've tried searching for them on the web but have found little information. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

5HP

I can get these for half the price of a "brand" name outboard. While I'm sure the quality isn't as great as on of the brand names, the fact that I can literally buy two of these for the same price as a brand name one might make up for it no?

What do you think?

Thanks!!!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
In many cases, you get what you pay for... are you on fresh water or salt? If you're on salt, I'd go name brand instead.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Having read the "about" section of their web site I would surmise that they do not make the APS outboards. It sounds like they are only a distributor. So the obvious question is, who makes them?

They are made by Parsun Outboard Motors in Canada. Here's their web site. PARSUN HOME OUTBOARDS PARSUN OUTBOARD MOTORS Supposedly they meet all Canadian and EU standards and are CE certified.

They also have a list of distributors at the bottom of the page.

PS; having read more of their web site I still get this sneaky suspicion that they are actually made some where else.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pretty sure they are only distributed by Parsun.

If you check a little deeper, you will find they are made in China.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Yup they are Chinese clones. They may be OK but I would make sure I had a local supplier who would stand behind then with a deceny spares inventory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
is the 15hp engine 100% part compatible with Yamaha, or only partly? I ask because I plan on cruising away from North America, where Yammy parts are easy to find.

Chris

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ya

I dont like seeing something without a dealer network passed off as a good thing OR the delusion its even remothly of the same quality as yamaha

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It would probably be a good idea if Danhenders and tacklebd would come clean and say exactly what their relationship to APS outboards is and who they are and who they work for, as REQUIRED by the MARINE SPECIAL INTEREST DECLARATION rules of the forum. It is pretty clear from the content of their existing posts that they are in a marine-related industry...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Perhaps a link to the US network might help. Do they also make 2-strokes?

Bill

·
Misanthrope
115 Posts
Someone is actually saying that Chinese outboards are good? Seriously? Now that's just funny. I've got 47 quality years in the marine industry at the OEM and dealer level and I have been a dealer for everything except Evinrude. So, with complete conviction, I can say that Chinese clone and domestically designed outboards are just awful. The materials are awful, the design(s) is awful and the manufacturing is awful. IE They are not a quality product.

Now, should you buy one? I don't know. You can make a case for buying cheap crap...I buy cheap, disposable, Chinese tools from Harbour Freight all the time. But, I don't pretend they are as good as Snap-On or Craftsman. So, if you need a POS outboard for a single summer give one a try. Just don't complain afterward how you made a mistake.

PS The distributor for APS actually has had a good reputation for their other import goods as far as taking care of reasonable problems...These outboards will probably be their undoing:)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Elvin

I was hoping you would drop in :)

Can you explane how and outboard gets a 3 star emission certification and is is possible that these units even have it as i thought it was costly process

·
Misanthrope
115 Posts
EPA certification is done by the manufacturer in conjunction with the EPA. It's an involved and costly process, but Parsun is slowly getting approval on some models...That doesn't excuse their shill importers from selling non approved models into the U.S., which they have done all to frequently in the past. California's CARB and the U.S. EPA basically cooked up the three star system back in the 90's, as a phased in process to reduce expelled emmisions. The manufacturers basically caved in and promised not to fight the regs as long as they had ten years to complete the process. It's a weighted system that looks at all models in an engine line, rather than an individual model, to determine if the engine can be sold here. The 3 star rating is the highest an outboard can achieve and is just a slight improvement over the 2 star rating. You can go to the EPA website and look up the test results for individual model outboards to see what about who.

·
Misanthrope
115 Posts
The shape of crap to come:) You know what I can't understand? Why Yamaha hasn't prevented their distribution under copyright violations. The Chinese pirate designs and no one seems able to do anything about it. I know you can't stop the production because China does not honor or enforce international trade agreements, but once the products reach Western countries you would think they would get injunctions to stop their sale.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I would think the copyright is much stronger on the parts and service manuals at least that is pretty easy to go after and has pretty rigorous enforcement

1 - 20 of 27 Posts