SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that the keel bolts are what hold the keel on the boat, but read elsewhere that the keel on the Newport 30 was attached with epoxy and fiberglass and that that is what really holds the keel on these boats. The keel bolts were used for alignment and to hold the keel in place while the epoxy cured.

Does anyone KNOW if this is true or not?

I know that the keel was attached with epoxy and fiberglass, but I don't know if it was meant to hold the keel on or not.

I am looking at a Newport 30 as my first boat and found 6 rusty (as in rusting apart) bolt heads in the bilge that I can only imagine are the keel bolts, so I am trying to figure out if this is a deal breaker or not. The boat is otherwise in decent shape.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,218 Posts
Newport was a budget oriented builder so it is highly unlikely that there is any epoxy anywhere in the boat.

I believe that the Newport 30 does have a bolt on keel rather than an encapsulated keel in which case the bolts are structural and, if they haven't been changed, they are past their service lifespan.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts