SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I trailer a balboa 16. We're not so young anymore and my wife is suggesting we purchase an electric winch to ease pulling it out of the water. Several brands are offering (what appears to be) the same 2000lb winch (for 6000 lb boats) with a manual crank for backup costing $80 to $150. Are they any good? I also notice that winches not specifically intended for trailers rated for much more force cost about the same.

Do any of you have experience with these?

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
No exp with those
But one thought is to put a block at the boat eye, a solid anchor point near the crack winch..doubling the power..dropping the block once the boat is very close
Skips battery needs and those inherent hassles

·
Registered
36 Posts
They are lightly built for light duty which is what you have.
With a fully charged battery in the trunk (to shorten the leads), over sized leads to the winch an a good wipedown and spray after each use they will make your life a lot easier and last the distance.
Also you can make up a water proof cover for storage. The cover should not wrap tightly and keep moisture in it should just be to keep the rain off.
If you are lucky enough to store the boat in a garage all the better.

Go for it, but look after it.

gary

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
667 Posts
Not sure if you have power near your launch, but may be able to wire in an ac to dc driver if you want to save on battery power when there is a plug nearby.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if you have power near your launch, but may be able to wire in an ac to dc driver if you want to save on battery power when there is a plug nearby.
we'll add a12v jack to the back of our microbus and keep the motor/alternator running as we pull the boat in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
With only 16, you don't need much pull. Is the trailer equipped with bunks with carpet? If so, cash a bottle of Dawn dish soap, give the bunks a squirt before loading and the boat will glide right on. This trick works great for any trailer with bunks

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
we'll add a12v jack to the back of our microbus and keep the motor/alternator running as we pull the boat in.
Under-sizing your wiring by branching off of an existing accessory circuit will cause problems by overheating the circuit and voltage drop at the winch.

Looking at a 2000 pound rated 12v winch pulling 1000 pounds (your boat's displacement) it should draw about 65 amps under load, and assuming a 20 foot run (40 round trip) you need a 6AWG wire to power the winch with a 10% voltage drop. If you want full capacity out of the winch (110a), you will need to run 2AWG.

@garymalmgren suggested the battery in the trunk for this reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your concern. my tow vehicle is a 1981 vanagon campmobile with 100AH of AGM battery mounted under the back seat. As a result, I have copious amounts of current available just 1m from the tow hitch. I'll appropriate fusable links, wire & connectors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have copious amounts of current available just 1m from the tow hitch. I'll appropriate fusable links, wire & connectors.

Way to go Eric.
Please get back to us with a review of the winch that you choose.

gay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since all of the cheaper (<$250) one ton winches intended for trailers appear to be identical, I ordered one for $80. I have a mechanical winch that we'll keep stowed in the boat as a backup. I'll post again once it's installed and tested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts