SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wood panels seen here left and right need some TLC. Are they like bulkheads or can i remove them safely one at a time and replace with fresh wood, as they are a little crumby at the bottom? Keep in mind i'm not talking about the pole in the middle which i'm guessing is a big supporter of the mast and luckily in good shape.

Attachments

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
Looks like a 22 ft Catalina ... Close??
You are correct . The post supports the deck stepped mast. As I recall I see no reason the bulkheads can not be removed and replaced in kind.
I don't think they are tabbed into the hull
Bill

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
The "post" is called a Compression Post. You guessed right in that it provides support for the deck, against the mast and standing rigging which places the mast, deck, and this post in compression. The stainless plates bolted to/through the plywood panels, which are in fact bulkheads, are chain plates.

The deck-stepped mast has got to be removed before you start mucking with any of it.

My advice is not to scarf new pieces of plywood in with the old. Use the old as a template, and replace the whole panel with marine grade plywood. From the pic, these don't look too bad, but you know better than us.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There not too bad just a little at the bottom. Being I just got the boat and it needs alot of TLC im starting with the basic stuff like cleaning the boat, changing old dock lines etc. Since this seems to be a more complex project ill hold off for now until I have support to step the mast and tackle some more important projects. Ty all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are they crumbly as in soft wood fiber coming out or are they just de-laminating a little? if the plies are just letting go why couldn't you take each out and turn they over, spread the plies gently and run epoxy in between and then refinish, and re-install?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Are they crumbly as in soft wood fiber coming out or are they just de-laminating a little? if the plies are just letting go why couldn't you take each out and turn they over, spread the plies gently and run epoxy in between and then refinish, and re-install?
Why bother? You'd only end up with a half a$$ed patch job after a lot of work. Both of them look like they'd only take 1/2 sheet of ply - get new teak ply and re-make them.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
how are these tabbed to the hull? I see they are only bolted at the bottom how are they on top?

we just made new bulkheads on my islander 36...all of them...this looks like a walk in the park!

let us know if you need any help...be glad to help out

Reactions: Shortnsalty

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
So the wood panels seen here left and right need some TLC. Are they like bulkheads or can i remove them safely one at a time and replace with fresh wood, as they are a little crumby at the bottom? Keep in mind i'm not talking about the pole in the middle which i'm guessing is a big supporter of the mast and luckily in good shape.
take them out...on a new sheet of ply outline design...cut, seal with epoxy especially the end grains that look up at the deck where the chainplate enters and the bottom where water would pool

you can also stain them at this time.

tab if needed, paint glass tabbing, then varnish bulkheads after fitting...

when drilling chain plate holes make sure you pot them once or twice with epoxy, redrill and install plate...preferrably with new bolts

thats what I would do...

ah the pleasures of small boat projects....:D

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.