SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We always put on our foul weather jacket on first, followed by our harness/life vest. If you have fallen into the water with your foul weather gear, you know how heavy it is and impossible to move around. Your thought would be taking off your foul weather gear to save yourself, but your life vest is in the way. Taking off your Life vest is risky unless you are in calm sea.

Forward thinking, put on life vest first, and followed by foul weather jacket. You can lost your jacket any time you need if it becomes necessary.

Your comments?

·
Registered
23,889 Posts
If your life jacket is keeping you afloat with your foulies on and it should, why would you care?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
last time i was solo for brief stint down to santa cruz i had the harness under...felt great and I could layer and unlayer easily

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I fall off the boat with tether is on, with the wet heavy jacket I will only have very limited mobility and diminished strength. I will not be able to make it up to boat. I need to lose the jacket and pant to get back on the boat.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your harness is under your jacket, how do you propose to clip in?

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last time i was solo for brief stint down to santa cruz i had the harness under...felt great and I could layer and unlayer easily
Good to hear. I have been doing this when I solo or on nite watch since lat year. I did the Safety at Sea training two years ago and found that with the wet foul jacket, I wouldn't make out.

In fact, I stop wearing life vest, but wear my safety harness. The inflated life vest will also hinder of my movement. I want to buy a manual inflate life vest. I don't like auto inflate knowing what I know now and how I will use it.

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Warmth.

If in a cold area maybe its better to keep the foul weather kit on under the life jacket.

But yes for getting out of it and onto the boat it would be more difficult. But my default method to get a MOB up is hoisting them on the main halyard.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your harness is under your jacket, how do you propose to clip in?
I zip part way, and the jacket has a wind flap tab with Velcro. It works OK. BTW, I seldom wear foul weather pants for the area I sail in.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
well for light cruising and stuff and light wether the teather just goes under the foulie jacket out the bottom if you will

for heavy weather and rain and crap its kind of unavoidable that it has to be over you...

the lighter and tighter fitting the better for me

there are definitely bad cumbersome and loose fitting tethers out there

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Interesting question. The type of life jacket would probably make a difference to how you'd think about it.

The inflatables come in several types, Hydrostatic, auto, auto manual etc. If you need to pull a tab to inflate, or in case it doesn't inflate, blow it up.. you'd probably want it outside. If you trust it to inflate, your Jacket better be extra sized to handle an inflated vest or you could compress your chest and restrict your breathing. In either case you'd want crotch straps.

The type 1's are pretty damn bulky, but they're the only one most likely to turn you up if you're knocked out. You'd probably Wear it outside IMO

Type II's and III's should fit under ok.

I agree with Mark..up here in the north..warmth is more important. Next to drowning, Hypothermia is the risk. You shouldn't move around unless you have to, just float.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
it just depends where you call home

here in central america underwear is optional its so damn hot

basically here id be in a tether and briefs and be happy jajaja

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
it just depends where you call home

here in central america underwear is optional its so damn hot

basically here id be in a tether and briefs and be happy jajaja
Yes that too. and when it rains there..you're putting on swim suits and taking sun showers ..not getting in to foul weather gear..

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Warmth.

If in a cold area maybe its better to keep the foul weather kit on under the life jacket.

But yes for getting out of it and onto the boat it would be more difficult. But my default method to get a MOB up is hoisting them on the main halyard.
I'm old school on this sort of stuff, I suppose...

My default method is to concentrate on not falling off the damn boat to begin with... :)

It's worked so far, though I'm sure it's just a matter of time... Unless I get "hacked to death by a machete" some night while at anchor in the Bahamas for the want of a firearm, first...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Yes that too. and when it rains there..you're putting on swim suits and taking sun showers ..not getting in to foul weather gear..
you got it

swing out the JOY dish soap and have a ball on deck! gett a full on rainwater rinse

that and filling up water tanks and all sorts of stuff if ut rains enough! jajaja

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts

My default method is to concentrate on not falling off the damn boat to begin with... :)

It's worked so far, though I'm sure it's just a matter of time... Unless I get "hacked to death by a machete" some night while at anchor in the Bahamas for the want of a firearm, first...

jajaja

wrong thread man! you should post this on that other one...:D

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
right

I was talking about tethers specifically...

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

I hear a box of thumbtacks is a good alarm clock.. for a machete attack. Dunno if they work for zombies

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
well for light cruising and stuff and light wether the teather just goes under the foulie jacket out the bottom if you will...
I lead the tether out the top of the zipped jacket. If you should fall overboard, you do not want the tether pulling you feet first, or pulling your jacket up in front of you. I agree with rockdawg - I want to be able to shed the outlayers, if necessary, in order to climb back on.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts