SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sailing for 35 years. I have a pretty good sense of what I like and want in a boat.

I also am of the SMALLER camp v. LARGE boat camp.

I am considering a few older classic plastic boats and am looking for some unbiased opinions.

HR Mistral 33' . Nice lines, not sure I want all that wood to take care of. What issues are any of you aware of w/ them?

Sea Sprite 30. CE RYDER, need I say more? I'm just a little leery of the short length and low SA/D ratio.:confused:

Southern Cross 31 cutter. Same thing. Great sea boat from all I can find, but I also sail on Chesapeake Bay. Light air performance would be horrendous w/ a SA/D of less than 13!:(

Stepping up in cost, but definitely up there in eye candy appeal is the Hinckley Pilot 35. Probably a bit smallish below, but for just two people...
God, I drool every time I see one of these!:) :cool: I've heard said they can be wet in rough weather though... And yes, I could probably afford it. Or at least I could before last Oct!

Bristol 35. Not a Hinckley, but would do for offshore and still has light air performance I suspect.

Cape Dory 36. Now this is probably the closest to a good compromise on looks, cost and filling my needs that I have found.

I'm really leery of a SA/D less than 15.5
So, let me have it. Offer up your opinions!

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Dave - I like your taste in boats!

I'm a big fan of a full keel boat with classic looks. I like the Southern Cross 31 (and 28 too!) but would be a bit leary of the Airex core and home built kits. Maybe my "leariness" is unwarranted, but that's my reaction whenever I look at an SC. However, I think the Sea Sprite line is a good compromise because you still get the Ryder design and SC look without the kits or cored hull (I think).

I also like HR boats, but I think the Mistral is tough to find on this side of the pond. You might also consider an HR Monson and Rasmus, though they are quite different animals than the Mistral.

I am not familiar with the Hinckley or Bristol specifically.

Cape Dory's are great boats and the 36 has great proportions. If you're considering the SC31 and SS30, why not one of the smaller CD's too?

Good luck with the search!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd add the Golden Hind and Elizabethan boats to that list. The WestSail 32 is also a classic, and a tough boat to boot.

I'd seriously recommend you look at James Baldwin's Boat List.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave - I like your taste in boats!

I'm a big fan of a full keel boat with classic looks. I like the Southern Cross 31 (and 28 too!) but would be a bit leary of the Airex core and home built kits. Maybe my "leariness" is unwarranted, but that's my reaction whenever I look at an SC. However, I think the Sea Sprite line is a good compromise because you still get the Ryder design and SC look without the kits or cored hull (I think).

I also like HR boats, but I think the Mistral is tough to find on this side of the pond. You might also consider an HR Monson and Rasmus, though they are quite different animals than the Mistral.

I am not familiar with the Hinckley or Bristol specifically.

Cape Dory's are great boats and the 36 has great proportions. If you're considering the SC31 and SS30, why not one of the smaller CD's too?

Good luck with the search!
Well the SeaSprite and the SC are actually a little too small for me and what I want to do (okay, I'm not in the REALLY small boat camp!) so that's why I am not looking at the Cape Dory 30, etc. I think they have such a high D/L ratio they would be a slug in the light air on the Bay. Maybe not, but ...

The MISTRAL is a nice boat if a bit small below. Have been in love w/ them since I saw one in Bermuda after the Annapolis Bermuda race. I know where a project Mistral is. Not sure I want to take on a project boat right now.

Bristol's (the older ones) are pretty good bluewater boats.

Hinckley, well, what more can you say!? If you aren't familiar w/ Hinckleys all I can say is you need to go to New England and see some!

I figure something around 34-37 foot max would be perfect. I just want to hear what the negatives are about these boats. I actually DON'T want a 40+' boat!

Thanks.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just remember, Southern Cross boats were made in 28, 31, 35, and IIRC, 37 foot LOA sizes. The Elizabethans are made in 29, 31, 35 and 37 IIRC.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Hinckley is in a class of its own. The rest are further down the ladder.
Well YEAH. That goes w/o saying. What I'm really looking for are negatives. As in what about any of those boats previously mentioned are poorly designed, poorly built, or poorly behaved at sea. They all LOOK good. Most have pretty decent pedigrees, but which one (if any) has a crappy way of fastening the flux capacitor to the articulated widget?;)

Which one's are definitely known to be slugs in light air? Personal experience only please!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'll add the Island Packet 31 or 32 with the swing keel or with out.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll add the Island Packet 31 or 32 with the swing keel or with out.

Eccchhh! :puke The IP's I've been on I've not been impressed with. Oh sure, they can take the rough stuff and stand up to a real blow. But they couldn't point to windward worth SQUAT!:(

Did see a Sea Sprite 34 that I really kinda liked, but still worried about it being undercanvassed.
I read Jeff's comments about the Hinckley Pilot on some other thread. They gave me pause... but I REALLY like this boat.:cool:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have been sailing for 35 years. I have a pretty good sense of what I like and want in a boat.

I also am of the SMALLER camp v. LARGE boat camp.

I am considering a few older classic plastic boats and am looking for some unbiased opinions.

HR Mistral 33' . Nice lines, not sure I want all that wood to take care of. What issues are any of you aware of w/ them?

Sea Sprite 30. CE RYDER, need I say more? I'm just a little leery of the short length and low SA/D ratio.:confused:

Southern Cross 31 cutter. Same thing. Great sea boat from all I can find, but I also sail on Chesapeake Bay. Light air performance would be horrendous w/ a SA/D of less than 13!:(

Stepping up in cost, but definitely up there in eye candy appeal is the Hinckley Pilot 35. Probably a bit smallish below, but for just two people...
God, I drool every time I see one of these!:) :cool: I've heard said they can be wet in rough weather though... And yes, I could probably afford it. Or at least I could before last Oct!

Bristol 35. Not a Hinckley, but would do for offshore and still has light air performance I suspect.

Cape Dory 36. Now this is probably the closest to a good compromise on looks, cost and filling my needs that I have found.

I'm really leery of a SA/D less than 15.5
So, let me have it. Offer up your opinions!
I owned a Pilot 35 for 10 years and she was a great boat. Would never have sold her except that I have plans for some long term cruising now that I'm retired. Bought a B40 sloop three years ago. The Pilot was very seaworthy and seakindly. Wet in rough weather but that was part of the fun. Although the interior was small she had been customized over the years to make her very comfortable. A double berth up forward and a seperate nav station.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I am SOOOOO envious. First a Pilot 35, now a B40 SLOOP? I didn't even put that in my original post as it's not even in my budget besides being at the upper end of my size requirements.

So what do you define as "rough weather" for the 35? And how happy have you been w/ the B40?

BTW I saw a Pilot 35 in Stonington CT this summer that was teh same color. Recognized it from two docks over and started drooling. And this despite the fact there were THREE Concordia Yawls in the same yard. Which I would love, but for the care required as well as the fact they have about as much room as a 30 footer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh, I am SOOOOO envious. First a Pilot 35, now a B40 SLOOP? I didn't even put that in my original post as it's not even in my budget besides being at the upper end of my size requirements.

So what do you define as "rough weather" for the 35? And how happy have you been w/ the B40?

BTW I saw a Pilot 35 in Stonington CT this summer that was teh same color. Recognized it from two docks over and started drooling. And this despite the fact there were THREE Concordia Yawls in the same yard. Which I would love, but for the care required as well as the fact they have about as much room as a 30 footer.
Roughest was 10 to 12 ft seas on the Bay of Fundy. She handled it very well. Many wild sails as well down the coast of Maine from Eastport to Southwest Harbor. Sharp entrance through heavy seas. The Pilot 35 goes to weather very well.
Our B40 is a Mark III sloop. The B40 is not as weatherly but she is a train on a reach. Had inmast furling when I bought her which I took off. Replaced with a new carbon spar 4 1/2 ft higher than the original. She goes to weather a lot better now and even with the higher spar she is less tender. Much larger interior for cruising. She has the dinette/nav station layout. My last boat.
By the way, a B40 yawl just sold in the Caribbean for around $69,000.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, thats real nice. best of luck to you too.
Sorry, no offense intended to you. I just have not been very impressed w/ the IP's. Of course my personal experience has been w/ the larger ones. Just did a charter on a 445 in the islands. Great boat for cruising and heavy weather.... but it sucked at pointing. Didn't like the center cockpit layout for ease of handling and running rigging seemed stiff. While I'm not a RACER, I like my boats to have more performance than the average cruiser is accustomed to.

Actually the smaller boats, 29, 31, do seem to be in line w/ what I'm looking for in a boat. How has it worked out for you sailing on the Bay; what amount of wind do you need to make it worth going out for the day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts