SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been haunting this forum for several years but i have yet to see much real sailing information!!,all i see is semi_clever quips and antidotes from [I would like to be considered a sailor]people,doesn't anyone here even use their boats for anything except drinks at the marina.whats the point!

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,901 Posts
What would you like to know? I, for one, have received a HUGE amount of help on everything from sailing techniques, boat maintenance, troubleshooting, and have enjoyed many of the stories people have shared. As a matter of fact, kudos to all of you sailnetters for helping us be where we are today!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't be frustrated, post some of your own sailing questions, ideas observations about sailing and sailboats. Raise the bar of the conversation. Some of us that occasionally post do not have the experience or knowledge that many here have. I am just an occasional day sailor but I do like to participate occasionally even my few posts are seldom filled with real sailing information. I'll tell you this though, I have learned much from the posts of a few people here that seem to have an extrodinary amount of knowledge and wisdom about almost everything (Anything) sailing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
At a marina, there are lots of guys with loads of advice. Most of them havent been more than 50m from the bar in the last 10yrs. You would ignore their advice.

So if you have a question or just want to say how cool your weekend was - just say it. You will get a response from around the world and something may be just what you want to hear.

So Sawing knots - where do you sail, where & in what would you like to sail?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Last weekend my wife and I sailed our vessel 105 Nautical Miles to cover 85 miles, we averaged 5.99 knots for 17-1/2 hours. The trip was from Holland Michigan to Chicago Ill. We sail every weekend. Day sails, weekends, long distance. In our 6 month season we typically average over 1,000 nautical miles.

There is a ton of info here.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Wow Sailortijki,
You guys are getting out there. We are also using the boat.

We just relocated from Darwin to the Gold COast. 2300nm against prevailing 10-40kn. We averaged low 7's. We had to beat to windward in regions which have poor charts - need to read the water and a good echo sounder. Fuel and water stops 400-600nm apart. Cmap charts also poor in some places.

Broke things and had to fix or adjust without. Saw some wonderful isolated parts of the world which are so different to the rest of Oz. Followed a history lesson. - Lots of stories too.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Holy CRAP St...2300NM???? I think I've only sailed maybe 23 in my year and a half of sailing almost every weekend! And you did 100 times that in one freakin' jaunt?

So out with the stories mate!

Hey sawing - what got you so frustrated dude?

PS - Adru, was that subliminal advertising or something? Heh-heh.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Wow Sailortijki,
You guys are getting out there. We are also using the boat.

We just relocated from Darwin to the Gold COast. 2300nm against prevailing 10-40kn. We averaged low 7's. We had to beat to windward in regions which have poor charts - need to read the water and a good echo sounder. Fuel and water stops 400-600nm apart. Cmap charts also poor in some places.

Broke things and had to fix or adjust without. Saw some wonderful isolated parts of the world which are so different to the rest of Oz. Followed a history lesson. - Lots of stories too.
NICE!
Our stuff is all costal cruising.
I dream of what you are doing, but someday that dream will be a reality.
I hope to be an island hopper within 5 years time. Gotta have goals.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
i've been haunting this forum for several years but i have yet to see much real sailing information!!,all i see is semi_clever quips and antidotes from [I would like to be considered a sailor]people,doesn't anyone here even use their boats for anything except drinks at the marina.whats the point!
Err. So what have you done ... lately?

If a website left me unsatisfied for several years, I'd stop haunting it. But that's just one [I would like to be considered a sailor]'s opinion. From this here armchair.

Hey, at least it swivels. I can pretend I'm sailing: "Ready about ... helm's a'lee!"*squeeeek*

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
OK I have started something here. We had to move the boat even if the prevailing winds were from the wrong direction.
Smacker - dont talk yourself down - you get out on the water regularly (and not just when you told to stay away from the computer)

Part 1. Darwin to Gove ~ 450nm. Charts very poor. Google Croker Is, 'Hole in the Wall' in Wesley group; English Company Islands.
http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/environment/conservation/pdf/23_wessel.pdf

Beautiful and isolated places. Great fishing. Great sailing. Poor charts - Need to be aware of sea state - watching for tidal rips Vs shoals etc.

Part 2. Gove is a quiet place, safe in all weather. The sail across the Gulf of Carpentaria was tops.[ ~300nm) We headed SE for a day in order to pick up a beam reach. Then went straight into the sleepy town of Seisia for fuel, (jerry cans) some food and a rest.

Part 3. Seisia to Cairns - later.
thanks guys
DC

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a 26ft paceship that I mostly sail singlehanded[when I'm not fixing something].I'm frustated because I've been exiled up here on the tennessee river for the last two years[among the bass boats].I want to sail my boat to the philippines via the panama canal but alas my fear of dying is overcoming my desire to live

·
Registered
249 Posts
been solo sailing the past 2 and half months in the Gulf Islands and San Juans. I get plenty of worthwhile advice and support from fellow listers. This site is the best! Whether tacking on your boat or leather desk chair!!!!

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
I've got a 26ft paceship that I mostly sail singlehanded[when I'm not fixing something].I'm frustated because I've been exiled up here on the tennessee river for the last two years[among the bass boats].I want to sail my boat to the philippines via the panama canal but alas my fear of dying is overcoming my desire to live
Ha! So now the truth comes out! But it's OK to take your frustration out on us, we can take it, we are strong.......:p

Incidentally, I assumed from your original post that you had accidentally posted on the wrong site, because I certainly didn't recognize the dear old SailNet community that we all appreciate so much.

Stuart

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I missed this post yesterday -- I was busy installing another armchair on our boat. Now we have one at all four corners. Very comfy. :D :D

P.S. Hey, nothing wrong with Tennessee. You can get to the Gulf or even the Great Lakes via the Ten Tom (sp?) waterway, can't you? Dip your finger in the water and you're practically on the high seas even as we speak.:)

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
JPR, do you have the automatic or manual foot lift, I have manaul and I'm thinking of going to auto but I'm affraid it will draw to many amps; Also, I have the optional teak magazine rack

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,181 Posts
I personally hate it when my armchair heels and I spill my drink :)

Sawingknots, I haven't rounded a cape yet this year, I am very much a poor shadow of some the guys on here, but I am just a guy like you a trying to get out there and live a dream.

Meanwhile I race on yachts when I can, my wife races up to 3 times a week, and we cruise our boat every other weekend locally.( The weekends in between cruises are to fix the stuff we break).

Yeah of course there are some guys here jerking off, some talk alot of crap, often the ones here who say the least are the ones I listen to the most. Make no mistake though there are guys like that here that are worth listening to and who know more than I could ever hope too.

Like St Anna said is that different to any sailing club bar?? So pull up a stool, order yourself a drink and you'll soon figure out who knows what.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.