SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst wanted to see how many sailnetters are going. We will be there, I am sure Marty will be.

Should be an interesting race and personally I prefer the distance versus the mark to mark races! I think we have our crew line-up solidified thanks to the HG website and Tony volunteering to lend his expertise (hope Kirk comes as well). I'll be arriving in Tacoma - Friday night, so if any of your guys want to do a social - my boat will be ready for guests...I hear they throw a great party on Friday night as well - so we can do that as well....

As far as I know - Slingshot (Grady), & Amoretto (Marty) will be there... Think I will have two sailnetters onboard for this one..

How about you David - you and your daughter going? BTW Charlie - if you want a break on working on the maintenance schedule - more than welcome to crew on HG or Marty's boat I imagine...

I still have to call the TYC - anyone know what time the race actually starts? I have my crew showing up by nine assuming its a 10:00 start....

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Jody,

You'd better have crew there an hour earlier, as first gun is 0900, with a 13 hr time limit. Along with a possible shortening of the course at the north end if the wind is a bit on the low side!

marty

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jody,

You'd better have crew there an hour earlier, as first gun is 0900, with a 13 hr time limit. Along with a possible shortening of the course at the north end if the wind is a bit on the low side!

marty
Thanks will get that changed! They didn't state that on the site - kinda poorly done but thats local knowledge ! Thanks...

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I had that on an application mailed to me.

You might also check out the southsoundseries.com website, at least that might be the website. The TYC website has a link. IIRC the times etc for all four races are at that site, with directions etc.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
So did you get signed up? I sent my check registration last saturday.

Now that I am home a day early, will head down and clean her up and out a bit for the trip down tomorrow. Funny how the weather forcast is slightly different around the sound. Tacoma has patchy fog for tomorrow, no fog listed for here in edmonds!

Marty

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll do it on Friday - will be leaving I think in the AM to go up. Really wish more for these were online registrations I hate mailing anything...At any rate we shall see you guys down there...Shall be interesting!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
should be leaving in about an hr, about an hour later than I want. but will be fighting an ebb the whole way no matter what I do, unlessI left about 3 hrs ago!

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Howdy:

I just flew in from Charlotte, and boy are my arms tired...

Nope, we won't be participating... Too much stuff to catch up on.

Good luck!

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
SO what were you doing in Charlotte to make you arms sore?!?!?!?!

Got down there about 4pm, Jody was still on his way if I heard the ph call correct. still no class breaks posted......grrrrrrrrr......maybe in the moring, or will figure out at the clubhouse!

Marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
SO what were you doing in Charlotte to make you arms sore?!?!?!?! Marty
Trying to save the world economy through the development and propagation of international manufacturing data standards.

(as my kids say: "Hanging around with my little geek friends")

(Exciting, eh)
David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
You probably had a better day than 91 of us at the race did. RC called a delay, no body could see the flag, did not announce over the radio, so EVERYONE in the in the 2nd thru 4th start was DQ'd! 91 out of about 125 boats. Anyway, one BIG protest going on with most of these boats on the single protest of how they handled it. LEgally what they did was correct to a point, but morally, way in teh wrong!

Anyway, will shut up, still rather stewed about the whole thing, and will probably NOT show up to any tacoma yacht club races in the future!

marty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You probably had a better day than 91 of us at the race did. RC called a delay, no body could see the flag, did not announce over the radio, so EVERYONE in the in the 2nd thru 4th start was DQ'd! 91 out of about 125 boats. Anyway, one BIG protest going on with most of these boats on the single protest of how they handled it. LEgally what they did was correct to a point, but morally, way in teh wrong!

Anyway, will shut up, still rather stewed about the whole thing, and will probably NOT show up to any tacoma yacht club races in the future!

marty
Bummer, Marty.. long way to go to have that happen.

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
You should see the few comments in SA about it! Race committee called all of the folks lemmings later in the day on the VHF for ALL to hear!

Long way to go to have this happen. Not sure how well this will bode for that club! Potential for the whole race results to be thrown out, then they keep the $40 per boat etc. A joke.

The course was a fun course, I would like to do that part again. Now to find out which club down there does an "Around Vashion" at another time of year.

Going to head down and get the boat in about an hr, then the 6 hr motor back. Jody spent the night down there, so should be heading home in a bit too. He was REALLY fried last night too. A lot of folks were.

Marty

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sounds like they screwed the pooch on that point... If over 70% of the boats in a race are DQ'd, I'd imagine you'd need to take a step back and think what you, as the race committee, did wrong...

marty

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I've got my boat home, jody was on the way home about noon too. BUT< he had no motor! or at least a working one, as I went out of site, not sure what he was doing, as he got out of the harbor under sail, but last I saw, seemed to be heading back the direction of the marina! so with that, I had a good 5 hr trip home vs 6 getting there!

This could get fun as far as the RC goes! all but 14 people in the PHRF member/racing of 90 someodd it turns out were correct in start time. RV did nothing as boat after boat/ fleet after fleet started incorrectly!

Wife talked with a member of the club whom raced, even he is embarresed about how the RC did things! He could not see the flags either, so most of us went on what we could tell was going on.

Anyway, off to other area's of here and take the wait and see as to how things will go off or not! A LOT of angry people with that yachtclub!

marty

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Marty - we had severe issues getting things situated.

Billy - the only one with me was basically under "24hr flu" and puking, diss-oriented etc...

When we sailed in last night after the race - I found out way to late - in the channel - that the genoa lines were placed forward of the drum. So, I had a dickens of a time trying to manage the scenario when the helm couldn't concentrate on the task at hand and I was dealing with the genoa thrashing all over in 10-20 knot winds / gusts.

I did manage to get it fixed. Started sailing down the west side. Did ok for a bit and sent BIlly below to sweat it out... Then wind died - so I called BoatUS / Vessel Assist and was towed. Imagine if you will - as soon as he arrived - 10-15...

Oh well - yeah, sorry you saw me so vocal - normally I am pretty forgiving about these things but the amount of effort and monies I shelled out to be there and the awesome deliverance of the crew... Who would of though we could sail that boat and get double digits with SOG... It simply was amazing - and the RC at TYC - shame and disappointment..They can use the VHF to make a "Lemmings Remark" and not actually announce the starts etc...

I had an awesome sail and the best crew... It was exhilarating seeing HG marchin down the west side straight up the channel and then point so high (and do double digits) so we basically again stayed center and with minimal tacks)....

At any rate - was great sailing....

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
da dum........da dum......da da da da da

The sharks, oops..........lawyer types in the protest room are figuring out whom did how and what right now! Well, maybe not TRUE lawyers, but those that are doing the protesting, and the jury/judge vs the TYC RC bunch! Should be interesting to see how things get sorted out, with in the end, "nobody" will truly win because of the trainwreck that was allowed to happen by the RC! IMHO of course.........da dum........da dum............

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
da dum........da dum......da da da da da

The sharks, oops..........lawyer types in the protest room are figuring out whom did how and what right now! Well, maybe not TRUE lawyers, but those that are doing the protesting, and the jury/judge vs the TYC RC bunch! Should be interesting to see how things get sorted out, with in the end, "nobody" will truly win because of the trainwreck that was allowed to happen by the RC! IMHO of course.........da dum........da dum............

I have a feeling they are throwing it - 11:24 and nadda on SA... I think :

QUOTE (Croissant @ Dec 11 2008, 07:06 PM)
<!--quotec-->In the early days of US bicycle racing, the refs were only there to determine who won money. On some ocassions we told the ref, "shoot your ******* gun, we're riding!"

Since then the little league/ pro sports mentality has infiltrated every sport and the refs think they ARE the show.

Here's a new's flash. It's a sailing race, not a day in the legal system.

Score the race as finished! The day of sailing was too good for the refs to **** up.

Since I was moving furniture, and we got the start right
, I have no skin in the game. But I hate seeing the refs rule and a bunch of great sailing not be recognized.
<!--QuoteEnd-->
<!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was pretty much on ball though...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts