SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid noob question, but here goes: Why do most of my sail bags have an arrow on them?

From left to right, that's my spinnaker, 170 drifter, 150 genoa, working jib, and storm jib. They all have the arrow except the 170.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Ahhh, you only use those for starboard tack :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Who made the sails (other than the 170, I recognize that one) and what's their logo look like?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who made the sails (other than the 170, I recognize that one) and what's their logo look like?
The 170 is Hild Sails. All the others (except the spinnaker) have a similar arrow pointing toward the clew.

I can't find any other markings.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
The 170 is Hild Sails. All the others (except the spinnaker) have a similar arrow pointing toward the clew.

I can't find any other markings.
Maybe they are trying to give you a hint ... :) :eek:

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Probably Johnson Sails, now JSI in St. Pete.
But making sails had gotten into Clint’s blood, and he soon tired of retirement, so by 1962 he was back making sails again, this time at a loft now named Johnson Sails Incorporated (JSI). At that time, JSI was located just off 49th Street in Largo, Florida where the now well-known JSI “Red Arrow” sail logo was first created. JSI was not just a local Tampa Bay area supplier, though, and JSI “Red Arrow” sails were soon seen on boats all around the country, especially after becoming standard equipment on most boats built at the near-by Irwin Yachts manufacturing facility.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I think its the logo for NS. Arrow class one design sails

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
How do you know the PO didn't do this for some (really strange and lost to all of us) reason? Those arrows and stitching look coincidentally similar.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably Johnson Sails, now JSI in St. Pete.
Thanks, I think that's probably it! I found the link:
The History of JSI | JSI Blog

'and JSI “Red Arrow” sails were soon seen on boats all around the country'

The timeline fits, unfortunately. It says they made the red arrow sails from '62 to '78, and the boat is a '74. Which depressingly means that these are probably the original sails.... Forty-year-old sails, anyone? Probably still good, right?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks, I think that's probably it! I found the link:
The History of JSI | JSI Blog

'and JSI “Red Arrow” sails were soon seen on boats all around the country'

The timeline fits, unfortunately. It says they made the red arrow sails from '62 to '78, and the boat is a '74. Which depressingly means that these are probably the original sails.... Forty-year-old sails, anyone? Probably still good, right?
What's depressing is that they're still newer than me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts