SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally, one of the 2, 12 volt grp27 batteries went bad. I had too many batteries anyway.
This is today's plan. (since I'm counting pennies lately)
Keep the 2, 6 volt grp24 that are nearly new for the house bank; get one grp29 or 27 to replace the 2, 12volt grp27s. The only "heavy load" will be the new refrigeration unit that runs less then 5 amps on 12 volt. gotta love that!! :D (36 degrees in 2 +- hrs from a warm icebox)

Sound like a plan? Most 30ftish cruisers seem to have to grp 27's one for each bank.

Lost my passion for sailing :mad:

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Keep the 2, 6 volt grp24 that are nearly new for the house bank; get one grp29 or 27 to replace the 2, 12volt grp27s. The only "heavy load" will be the new refrigeration unit that runs less then 5 amps on 12 volt. gotta love that!! :D (36 degrees in 2 +- hrs from a warm icebox)
Do you mean golf cart batteries by "6 volt grp24"?

For starting you don't need more than a group 24 12 volt start battery. The two 6 volts (golf carts?) make a good house bank.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Brian, I have 2 6 volt Golf Cart batteries for the house bank A really hated getting rid of the 2 T105s they replaced, but they were both bad. . I think everyone agrees one 12 volt group 27 or 29 are all that's needed for the starter on the engine.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Yes Brian, I have 2 6 volt Golf Cart batteries for the house bank A really hated getting rid of the 2 T105s they replaced, but they were both bad. . I think everyone agrees one 12 volt group 27 or 29 are all that's needed for the starter on the engine.
Denise

All you need is a group 24. Even that is more than necessary to start a small diesel.

·
Registered
25,092 Posts
Denise, the plan sounds fine. It seems that boat expenses are causing real stress for you. Why not sell the Oday and get a smaller day sailor, without systems? Maybe even a trailer sailor, if you have a place to put it at home. I've always thought a 20ft cat rigged boat with a small cabin with porta potti would be a terrific trailer sailor. This assumes you still wish to be sailing.

Reactions: deniseO30

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've written and deleted the "sail boat for sale" ad more then 5 times now! Groans. Going back to a smaller boat will never be an option LOL I'm 65 now. getting by with my SS and rent from housemates Selling the house and getting an even larger boat was the plan. I think not meeting my self set goals is the main source of my stress.

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
25,092 Posts
Being disappointed in oneself is a self inflicted wound. You are the judge and jury, pardon yourself. You own a house and boat, which literally puts you in the top 10% or 20% of wealth in the country. Not so bad. You know that nearly half the country has a nearly zero net worth? Settle into a program where you can be happy. If you love sailing, just pick the spot you can afford to eliminate the financial stress. You will enjoy it more. If you don't, find something you can enjoy. If sailing reminds you of a lost dream, nothing wrong with finding another avocation. Maybe get a part time job in the marine industry (West Marine?). A little extra spending money for the boat and probably access to good discounts. Good luck.

Reactions: jimgo

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. Yes I'm getting a bit more settled about it. I can always go back to building small craft, something I've always loved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.