SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the unlikely case anyone is not aware of this, we have a potential East Coast hurricane in the offing. It seems to be growing in strength and conditions are favorable for continued strengthening: National Hurricane Center

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
So far, all the forecast discussions have the strong winds on the east to southeast side. Hopefully, like most, it trends further east than projected.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
I hate to say it but I think Southport, Oriental et al are in for a pasting...

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
hate to say this.. but cool. As an Arthur I was always bummed that the hurricane's named after me went out to sea and fizzled.

For the rest of the world.. be safe out there!

·
Master Mariner
8,957 Posts
hate to say this.. but cool. As an Arthur I was always bummed that the hurricane's named after me went out to sea and fizzled.

For the rest of the world.. be safe out there!
As an Andrew, it really isn't that cool to be remembered for a storm that sank someone's boat, tore their home apart or cost a friend or family member their life.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Isn't conventional wisdom that after a cold winter that was MISERABLE up here, that the hurricanes would stay away..the water's too cold.

Let's hope this Arthur fizzles out. Some of the spaghetti plots go through my back yard, and I'm not liking that at all.

Good luck to all in the path..be safe.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Isn't conventional wisdom that after a cold winter that was MISERABLE up here, that the hurricanes would stay away..the water's too cold.

Let's hope this Arthur fizzles out. Some of the spaghetti plots go through my back yard, and I'm not liking that at all.

Good luck to all in the path..be safe.
This storm is sucking up its energy/moisture from WARM Gulf Stream. Its precisely following 'the stream'.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
NOAA has downgraded the hurricane watch in NC to a storm watch, unless the path veers west or the wind field widens. Heaviest winds still on the east side.

·
Registered
618 Posts
NOAA has downgraded the hurricane watch in NC to a storm watch, unless the path veers west or the wind field widens. Heaviest winds still on the east side.
NHC website is showing Storm Warning for NC and Hurricane Watch for NC. Possible you misinterpreted the Blue Storm Warning for removal of the Pink (hurricane watch). The Blue pretty much blotches out the pink.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no strong upper level wind having much effect so this one could go anywhere. Although we've gotten much better at predicting paths and strength, hurricanes still have a mind of their own sometimes. I'd be putting up the storm shutters or looking for a hurricane hole right about now if near the Outer Banks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lost sleep over this last night. Dreamed that Sea Mist broke off her lines and was just randomly bashing against all of the other boats in the marina.
Going down tomorrow just in case.

·
2002 Catalina 270
1,583 Posts
NHC website is showing Storm Warning for NC and Hurricane Watch for NC. Possible you misinterpreted the Blue Storm Warning for removal of the Pink (hurricane watch). The Blue pretty much blotches out the pink.
That's exactly what i'm seeing too. The Hurricane Watch on the NC coast is still in effect... but they added the Tropical Storm Warning on top of it. I'm trying to figure out if i should haul out or not (Oriental) as staying at my particular pier is not the best option because my bow is not pointed towards the wind and waves in situations like this... we get broadsided at the pier. After Irene i'm not sure i want to take the risk. I realize this is not a situation like Irene though. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
As an Andrew, it really isn't that cool to be remembered for a storm that sank someone's boat, tore their home apart or cost a friend or family member their life.
I feel sorry for the people that lost loved ones and property, but still… As a Len I was amused by hurricane Lenny.

First, they called it "wrong-way Lenny" which accurately describes the way I do most things.

Second, how could I not chuckle at the headline "Lenny Ravages US Virgins"?

I know, I know, loss of life, great property damage. But still.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
k guidance,
the official forecast is similar to the previous one. Given the new
NHC forecast, only a tropical storm warning has been issued for the
coast of North Carolina. However, any deviation to the left of the
forecast track or an increase in the size of the wind field would
require the issuance of a hurricane warning for all or part of the
area under hurricane watch. - Forecast Discussion #7
I was going by their written statement, not a graphic.

·
Master Mariner
8,957 Posts
This storm is presently moving very slowly in some of the warmest water in the north Atlantic. Warm water is one of the greatest contributing factors in the development of a cyclonic storm. We all know that the NWS is not infallible and it would not take much of a change in strength and/or direction for this storm to wreak havoc in the Outer Banks and even the Chesapeake.
A little preparation would go a long way towards peace of mind, for those of you who might be in the path, should it deviate, even slightly, from the forecasts.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I was just looking at Marine Traffic . Com and noticed that many of the Newport/Bermuda boats are returning home. It looks like there are a few stragglers that have about 150 miles or more to go. Talk about timing.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just looking at Marine Traffic . Com and noticed that many of the Newport/Bermuda boats are returning home. It looks like there are a few stragglers that have about 150 miles or more to go. Talk about timing.
Boy, that really sucks. Hope they make it in before they intersect the storm. Some of the older boats are not very fast.

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
Report from New Bern, NC. 90% of the boats are fully prepared here in my marina including mine, "Moondnace"! Weather guru's here say 50 knots winds and 3-5" of rain. Easy Peasy for a Florida gal!. Surge should be around 4 feet. After Georgia's 9 foot tide swings, 4 feet is nothing.
Keep praying it keeps turning toward the east.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts