SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Advanced beginner
561 Posts
FWIW, hardly any of the students I encountered in either ASA 103 or 104 were novice sailors. The vast majority either owned their own boat and wanted to fill in knowledge gaps or frequently crewed for others. I don't know how common it is that students go from zero experience to 104 in a couple of weeks, I'd be interested in hearing from the sailing instructors who common that is

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,549 Posts
<Duplicate post>
?
FWIW, hardly any of the students I encountered in either ASA 103 or 104 were novice sailors. The vast majority either owned their own boat and wanted to fill in knowledge gaps or frequently crewed for others. I don't know how common it is that students go from zero experience to 104 in a couple of weeks, I'd be interested in hearing from the sailing instructors who common that is
If you look at my sig, you will see that I am a former instructor. One US/Sailing affiliated school touted that the "Fast Track to Cruising® Course" was their "Most popular course." These courses are marketed to people with no sailing experience and people that are getting back into sailing. I have also passed on several opportunities to teach these week long classes at ASA affiliated schools. The pressure to do this, and Covid-19 (spending a week in close quarters with people that may be infected) are why I am currently a FORMER instructor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Like IDtrucks, I have not taken any ASA courses, but I did take RYA day skipper (basically 103+104). I had several years' experience sailing small keelboats, and another of the students had only taken RYA Qualified Crew (which I think is a bit like ASA 101?). I passed handily, and learned a lot. He did not pass, and spent most of the time being stressed and frustrated, and then re-learning the basics. So, yeah, I would not recommend taking all 3 classes in a go with no prior experience if your goal is to be able to competently and safely do a bareboat charter.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts