SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife and I just earned our basic keelboat certification from ASA. However, some of the resort areas we are looking into that rent boats are affiliated with US Sailing. Experience not withstanding, does anyone know if US will honor an ASA certificate (or vise-versa)? Is there some kind of "equivalency" test I can take at US Sailing (without having to go through an entire basic course)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I would just call the location of your choice and ask them. Typically, if it's just a small boat rental they all recognize Master card and Visa. I doubt that you'd get turned away from renting a US sailing owned rental, because you took an ASA course or visa versa. These schools are independent contractors trying to make a living.

Worse case scenario, they ask you to demonstrate some competency, or give you a free test.

I was in Reno for a conference and drove to Lake Tahoe for a day with the goal of renting a sailboat. The marina asked me to take a short generic written test, while they gassed up the boat, within a half hour I was motoring out of the Marina.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that makes sense. We've not yet narrowed down where we would like to go, but when we do, we'll call and get further info. Taking a quickie test or checkout run would be easy enough. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts