SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the ASA 104 for Bareboat Cruising and now I see a lot of adverts stating a requirement for RYA's STCW. What am I missing here to be qualified to get work as crew on deliveries or private yachts?

Thanks

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,141 Posts
To be qualified as CREW for deliveries you need neither ASA or RYA (nor US/Sailing, nor CSA, nor NauticED) certification. You need to know a delivery skipper.

If you want to be paid to operate a motor vessel in the USA, or US Waters (delivery skipper), you will need a USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (aka 'MMC' aka 'Captain's License'). To obtain one of these look here; https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchant_mariner_credential/

To learn more about STCW look here; https://www.stcwdirect.com/stcw-training/

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What am I missing here to be qualified to get work as crew on deliveries or private yachts?

Thanks
As eherlihy said all you need to do is know the right person to get a spot on a delivery. All the ratings mean nothing if you don't have any real experience or skills to back it up.

Are you looking to build some sail time or are you looking for income, being boat delivery crew will likely not pay your rent.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
When looking for crew much rather see RYA. Especially US captain v RYA yacht master. The practicum and testing procedures seem stricter for RYA. I’m able to self attest and sit the tests for US. For awhile did have crew sign them as well. I’m a amateur. I’ve crewed for other people and have had people crew for me. Given I don’t need a certificate of competence as we decided to not sail the Med for now. I decided to not get credentials. I’ve paid for diesel courses and did a refresher diesel course with ASA which was good. I’ve done weather courses. If your goal is to get passage time things most look at in volunteer crew
Experience, experience, experience
References
Health status
Additional skills- mechanical, electrical, communication, electronics, medicine.
Disposition
Absence of addictive or dysfunctional behavior.
Prior paid employment and schooling (a very rough measure of intelligence).
Personally don’t pay much attention to formal sail training. Not a demerit but not much considered.
I would take a intelligent non sailor who worked as a diesel mechanic then as a sparks in the navy, had a good sense of humor and did survival medicine courses so he/she could ice climb in the remote Chilean Andes who made me laugh during the interview over all the coursework.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
People differ but it’s nice to take a total newbie along. Maybe they’ve had years of coastal, or have owned boats and that’s good stuff but if the other folks on the boat are known to you as great passage crew it’s nice to take someone new to passagemaking along. Expect your first few watches to not be by yourself. I take an additional watch so I can be with the newbie until until I’m comfortable. Then take 2 hours of watch with him and have my best crew take the other 2 hours. Different people teach and do things differently. Set up the schedule so even when I think he/she can stand watch alone I’m rested if and when they need me or have a question. So usually that means my watch follows the new sailor. I post this because I think crew should interview captains and make judgments about the boat they’re getting on. Think all the bad stories come from the crew not choosing wisely or the captain not choosing wisely. Also think crew should talk with each other beforehand and that should also add in to their decision to join a boat.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,141 Posts
Out- despite how you might feel about the US Captain's test, the MMC that I referred to in post 2 is a requirement to operate a motor vessel for consideration in the US or US waters. There is much more to obtaining an MMC than taking the tests - see the 11 steps in the link.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Agreed Ed. The MMC is a very worthwhile credential and required if receiving payment for services. Was involved several times when people were referred by other physicians due to concerns about medical clearance. These were individuals operating commercial shipping or ferries not recreational boaters. I perhaps wrongly assumed the OP was interested in crewing small yachts given this is SN . My apologies.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,141 Posts
None needed Lee.
:)

·
Super Moderator
4,189 Posts
I just finished the ASA 104 for Bareboat Cruising and now I see a lot of adverts stating a requirement for RYA's STCW. What am I missing here to be qualified to get work as crew on deliveries or private yachts?

Thanks
RYA and STCW certifications are pretty common requirements for paid positions on yachts. Might be worth checking with a crewing agency to find out what the latest requirements are.

I am not aware of any paid crew positions requiring ASA training. As far as I know ASA is mostly for recreational sailing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts