SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

After almost two months of nights and weekends replacing the broken mast step and repairing the broken deck on my little O'day Widgeon (Think Daysailer, but only 12' long) from last summer's mishap, I'm planning to go out and do a test run this Sunday, 5/17. I'm thinking Lums Pond, but it could be any suitable location within a reasonable drive of northern Delaware. I'm pretty confident about the quality of the repairs, but not quite as confident about my skills at this point. The damage was a dismasting due to an accidental gybe while a shroud was swaying loose. I've taken ASA 101 since then and have been doing a lot of reading about sailing too, but I'm awfully nervous about going out again, I have to say.

Does anyone know if there's a sailing school in my area that would be willing to accompany a novice for a half day for a shakedown run? Or, is there anyone here on the forum who'd be willing to help? Any other suggestions? I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee if necessary.

Thank you!

- Brian

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Brian, at least you took asa 101! gybes are hard to avoid when your new to sailing. I had more then a few! the guy that bought my hunter 23 a couple of years ago wondered why the new traveler broke then claimied it was defective, I can imagine.
Hope you get over being nervous, be mindful of the weather conditions. wear a wet suit and pfd. good luck.

·
"Nevis Nice"
224 Posts
The New Castle Sailing Club has a bunch of small boat sailors. Nice folks, too. Call them at 328-1579 and see if you can get someone to help you out. Here's their website: New Castle Sailing Club.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts